2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

distributor cap screws

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:14 PM
jhamilton19
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, id rather do it right the 1st time around. i was looking on the website for the plenum. is that the only place to get the kit? does anyone else make a kit?
how big of a deal is it to get all that apart to do the job?

Last edited by jhamilton19; 12-30-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:12 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jhamilton19
yeah, i need to do the plenum. i looked down through the throttle body and it looks like some one dumped a gallon of dirty oil down there. i was thinking about doing it just so i could get to the distributor but i just dont know if i can spend the cash. i lost my job a while back and havent been able to find another one yet. what all does it involve to do the plenum? i downloaded the service manual the other day but i havent had a chance to go through it yet. thanks for the replies everyone.
Wow, I hear ya about losing a job. I just finally picked up a new one starting next month. Anyway, here's a cheap way to at least fix that broken bolt. So, don't worry my friend.

Forget the plenum fix for now. Just remove the air intake assy, remove the throttle cables from the throttle plate, remove all the sensor connectors at the TB, remove / pull the vac line. Remove the four fasteners and remove the TB. Place a rag to prevent crap from falling into the intake.

Now, get the Purge solenoid out of the way. Disconnect the vac line and the connector. Now pry it up off the rubber mount by using some oil inside the rubber. Makes it much easier to remove and install later.

Now that we have clear access to the dizzy, get a right angled drill attachment and simply just drill it almost completely out. Don't go too big as to damage the threads thus requiring you to run a tap through there to clean the threads up. But, just drill it out to the point of it having a hole in the center or, close to it anyway. Then, using a left hand drill bit, put it in reverse and she'll come right out. If it's seized, you may want to use some penetrating oil so similar. I would imagine it shouldn't be too bad being seeing where it's located.

Try that. You can also use a dremel tool with a diamond bit or a carbide cutter and mill it out using the flex tool. Hang the dremel up and use the flex tool to get at it and mill through it. Those are soft fasteners and you can mill those like butter.

Chris

Old 12-30-2009, 03:15 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah, id rather do it right the 1st time around. i was looking on the website for the plenum. is that the only place to get the kit? does anyone else make a kit?
Here's the intake that you want: http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=24773

It's not bad at all. I posted some instructions as well. The involved part is the cleaning and prep along with creating your gasket seals.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:33 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

All Right here:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-included.html

Old 12-30-2009, 06:21 PM
jhamilton19
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmckenna
Here's the intake that you want: http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=24773

It's not bad at all. I posted some instructions as well. The involved part is the cleaning and prep along with creating your gasket seals.

haha! yeah, i saw that intake. id like to get that one but im just going to go the cheaper route right now. my old lady is going to buy the plenum kit for me. but i have to pay her back. so, atleast it will be fixed right the 1st time and hopefully i dont have to mess with this again. thank you all for all the info. i really appreciate it. you guys are great.

Quick Reply: distributor cap screws