2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

very bad fuel milage. Anyone know

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 02:07 AM
98 Ram "Hybrid"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leahyhfarms
It got bosch platium +2 plugs and wires 5000 miles ago.
Check those plugs. I installed them in my ram and ended up replacing them and wires because they fouled up pretty quickly. I think I made it 12k on them.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:07 AM
leahyhfarms
Rookie
Smile

I have never noticed any black smoke but it does smell rich. I am nearly certain that there is no gas leak as I never seen any on the ground or smelt it. The codes that are on it are 12 37 33 55 in that order. I will check out the plugs. Maybe this don't matter but I have listened to the injectors and they all have the same clicking sound.Cleaning the injectors, is that something I can do myself? Often times it will do 8 - 10 miles to the gallon but it is bad at the moment especially when I am paying nearly 7 bucks a gallon. Ok there is one oxygen sensor in the cat converter where is the second located. I think I might need a new pluem gasket because when I changed the air charge sensor there was a kind of black crap on it an when you look into the throttle body you can see it in there too. The motor is not really using any oil, most of it is being lost thru the rear crank seal- uses about half a quart in 4000 miles. Some times when I am starting the motor its just about to start but then back fires and stops dead After doing this I just turn the key and it fires right up. Thanks for help and ideas so far

Old 01-03-2010, 04:57 PM
leahyhfarms
Rookie

After checking out the plugs and they were very clean. Would low fuel pressure cause any of this trouble. When I give the motor 2 quick revs and just let it idle the motor just dies out.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:17 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't think low fuel pressure would cause poor mpg. you can check the pressure at the rail port, should be about 49psi.

on your 94 i think you only have one 02 sensor, its before the cat. if it hasn't been changed recently, you should probably replace it.

10 mpg is not too terribly bad. 8 is.

Are you really in Ireland ?

the rich smell indicates its running too rich. no smell of gas rules out a leak (you'd smell it if it was). all plugs being clean is a good indicator that you don't have a leaky injector.

i didn't look up those codes. somebody interpret them for me.

inability to hold idle may be related.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:35 PM
halfamil
All Star

37 is for diesel engines-12 is battery connection problem-33 is A/C clutch relay circuit-55 is end of message codes-via Haynes man.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

are you really in Ireland and driving a ram? when i lived in Scotland back in 92, gas was about 3$ a liter.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:33 PM
leahyhfarms
Rookie

I sure am in Ireland and driving that gas guzzler. The current price of gas here is 1.25 Euro per liter or about 1.80 bucks. The dam goverment have put 15 cent increase of tax (per liter) on gas and 10 cent on Diesel in the past year. The fuel cost was always higher in the Uk than Ireland but than they have fairer road tax. For example to tax my Trans Am in the Uk it would cost me about $300. In Ireland it would cost me about $2200. Any ideas why code 37 comes up. I have checked it again and I am certain that it is 37. I put in a new O2 sensor about 8000 miles ago but I am going to get another new for it next time I order parts for it.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw a red Ram and a green Ram last time I was there. One was on a farm up in Co. Cavan, and the other I saw driving though the middle of Kilkenny. Both were single cab short beds if I recall correctly.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:24 PM
leahyhfarms
Rookie

My pick up is red with single cab and long box. Is it long since you were in Kilkenny. It could have been me if it was with in the last 2 years. I see you're from Colorado Springs, I passed thru there Sept 2008 on vacation on my way back to Colby Ks.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's been about 4 years since I was there last. I can't recall if it was a long box of not, but I think it was not. I was just so suprised to see a Ram over there. I should have taken a pic. I saw one in Antwerp and one in Amsterdam too, which both also suprised me.

I probably didn't see you pass through the Springs.

Quick Reply: very bad fuel milage. Anyone know