2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cup holder idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 12:24 PM
dodgeboy7
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 97 which is still the old style and i have the cup holder that adds on to the center seat and i love it keeps w/e size drink you have no matter how big and it had cut out spot for your handles for your coaffe. And the drinks dont came out and spil every were well inless you roll the truck over.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We had a member make a console of sorts that sits down in front of the middle seat. I think he was happy with it- iwhitne is who I think did it.

And I do agree, the drink holders are a waste of time. I'm not even sure what Dodge thought fit in them best, or what we as consumers would put in them all the time. Everything I've used will fall out slicker than deer guts on a door ****.

It's not fun when you watch 42oz of sticky drink fall out and either land in your lap or in the passenger side flooboard soaking everything. Would make even the most religious man say bad words. Specially when you're running late for something.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:13 PM
rideordie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
We had a member make a console of sorts that sits down in front of the middle seat. I think he was happy with it- iwhitne is who I think did it.

And I do agree, the drink holders are a waste of time. I'm not even sure what Dodge thought fit in them best, or what we as consumers would put in them all the time. Everything I've used will fall out slicker than deer guts on a door ****.

It's not fun when you watch 42oz of sticky drink fall out and either land in your lap or in the passenger side flooboard soaking everything. Would make even the most religious man say bad words. Specially when you're running late for something.
While I just try to avoid using the cupholder altogether, it'd be kinda nice to have one that worked well..But I don't feel like bothering with it much personally.

In my experience, i think the stock one holds pop CANS pretty well, since they aren't so tall they stay in there. But anything higher than that falls out constantly.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:26 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

I dide make a center console.. but I had to take out the cup holders because of spacing.. I'm going to add the cup holders from Geno's they're like $38 or something

Old 01-07-2010, 05:34 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

I might add one down by my floor shifter or something. I gotta get rid of the factory holders lol. Either going to put a cb or acc switches in the place of them.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:09 PM
seabass202
Veteran

how about installing a 5 speed shifter console it has cup holders in it than you could just make a tray or something where the boot would go. and maybe put some guages or switches where the old cupholder is.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Another thing I thought of, the base model early Fords didn't have a cup holder in them. Hell, even our 1994 Lariat doesn't have holders. Most autoparts stores carry a little clip on drink carrier that sits on the door jam. I've got a similar setup for an ashtray at the moment actually.

And, pop cans don't fare well in mine. My drink holder stays shut all the time unless I'm charging a phone then it's out.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:35 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

I have a 96 also. When I bought the truck the previous owner had cut out the bottom of the cup holder on the driver’s side. I thought why would someone do that? All it took was one large ice tea in the passenger side cup holder and a left turn to figure out why he had done this. (Tea all over the floor) I pulled the cup holder apart and removed what was left of the bottom. I use the cup holder all the time the way it’s modified with no spills.
Hope this helps.

Dave

Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 PM
emericaskater285

man ive had so many spills and bottles fall its been well over 200 times. every corner it would fall. i can accelerate as fast as i want but if i take a corner at 10mph it will fall no matter what. it sucks but ive learned to live with it even if i do have to shampoo my carpet like twenty times a year. (i worked at a detail shop so i used to shampoo all the time on my truck when i spilled)

Old 01-07-2010, 11:17 PM
91xjgawes

Originally Posted by xjarhead69
I have a 96 also. When I bought the truck the previous owner had cut out the bottom of the cup holder on the driver’s side. I thought why would someone do that? All it took was one large ice tea in the passenger side cup holder and a left turn to figure out why he had done this. (Tea all over the floor) I pulled the cup holder apart and removed what was left of the bottom. I use the cup holder all the time the way it’s modified with no spills.
Hope this helps.

Dave
x2 this is how mine is...most fast food cups fit snug in it...

Quick Reply: Cup holder idea