2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just my dumb luck

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:45 AM
MrRuckuss
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just my dumb luck

here i envy everyone that has mass amounts of snow and now that we have some i can't play in it with my truck, i was on my way out to my brothers house and i heard, what sounded like a turbo prop plane behind me, my rearend making noise, needless so say when i got back home i checked for leaks thinking that maybe i was loosing fluid and a gasket with some gear oil would fix but no leaks and since i have another vehicle i wasn't tooo concerned with it, but i wake up this morning and holy cow its snowing cats and dogs, i had the fluids changed like 6 months ago, i know theres and additive that you have to use in the front end but do you have to do that in the rear????????

Old 01-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you only need the additive if you have limited slip.
did the noise sound like the one on this thread https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-rear-end.html

Old 01-07-2010, 12:14 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you turn real tight circles with your truck going slow you will know if you need the additive as the wheels will almost hop because the clutches arn't lubed right.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:22 PM
MrRuckuss
Veteran

no wheel hop on sharp turns, and as far as the noise is concerned, you hear it when accelerating, when you are coasting you hardly hear it.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:39 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979
if you turn real tight circles with your truck going slow you will know if you need the additive as the wheels will almost hop because the clutches arn't lubed right.

really??????? i thought my wheel bearings were bad because it hopped when turning left going slow...never does it when going above 5 mph....and if i ease of and strighten ita little bit it doesnt hop

dealer told me it was a frozen ujoint (wheel bearings are tight, new ball joints)....but now that you say this it makes sense....i ddint use an additive when i changed my front diff fluid........but i have open diffs with 4.10s

Old 01-07-2010, 12:55 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You only need the additive if you have a Limited slip. You do not need it in the front because no Dodge Ram came with a limited slip in the front from the factory.

BTW I am loving this snow too!

Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

dang...give up my hopes why dont ya lol....

and the snow is awesome...except when you meet snow and dirt, i burried my truck on a beach today....its on the ocean, and the wind made big drifts, well it didnt look like a drift and i burried it, tried to get out, dug myself a hole in the sand, and had to pay 60 bucks to have a wrecker come pull me out lol. the truck was so burried, the front of it, the snow was as high was the hood

Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 PM
MrRuckuss
Veteran

i'm pretty much convinced that its the pinion bearing, i'm just glad that it did this now and not tomorrow as i am driving to virginia and having a pinion bearing go out is not a good thing in the mountains, just have to find a big garage to fix it in when i get back.

Quick Reply: Just my dumb luck