2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Yay!!!! Transmission is about to blow!! (I think ^_~)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Kaldir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yay!!!! Transmission is about to blow!! (I think ^_~)

Okay, so about 5 months back my transmission would drop in to first gear at random. So I took at a $2500 loan to get a new transmission, took it to a transmission shop to have it looked out to see what I was dealing with. Turn's out it was a bad sensor which was causing it. I was hoping this would fix my check engine light (forgot the number, the one that comes up with bad TCC) but it didn't, no biggie. I took the rest of the money and bought a 3 year/30,000 mile warranty. A few months ago my transmission starts acting up again, mostly clunking in and out of O/D and it will grind in O/D every now and then and I have to let off the gas, or get on the gas for it to stop. Also in O/D the RPM's some times fluctuate up and down till I get on it a little bit, then its fine. Well I have about 10,000 miles left till the warranty is up so I want to take it to a transmission shop to have it checked out so I can get the warranty to fix it.

Long story short, what do you guys think this is? Torque Converter problem? Only thing that sucks is the warrenty will only pay to have it rebuilt, not replaced. No biggie as long as the rebuild is done right. I will also have to mark the transmission to make sure they just don't swap it out. Sneaky Sneaky auto-shops!!

Oh, and right now I have about 92,000 miles on the truck..... sounds about the right time for a stock transmission to go.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:41 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I will also have to mark the transmission to make sure they just don't swap it out.
I'd rather have them swap in a new transmission than re-build the current one.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

I wish I could, but my warranty will only replace parts/have it rebuilt. Don't have the cash to fork out for a new one.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So why is the mark neccesary?

You know if I paid 2500 for a re-built transmission and it failed only after 5 months I would stomp in that shop and DEMAND that they pay for a brand new (not re-built) Mopar replacement (and install it yourself) If they had any sense, they'd pay for the Mopar trans, because a new Mopar transmission is $1900 from APSPrecision.com. (You know, if that happened to my $1500 re-build I'd do the same thing. I wouldnt even let that yahoo touch my truck).

Old 01-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

The mark would be there so I know it is a real rebuild and not a transmission they pull out from a junk yard and throw in there, would rather get the truck back, look under it see the mark I made, and be happy, rather then find out 5 months down the road. And no worries, if that did happen 5 months down the road even with a confirmed rebuild, I would go charging in there opening a can. Thankfully I live in a small town, and the local garages tend to not screw people because word travels fast, and we are their only business.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:30 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

you had the tranny rebuilt, did they put in a new TC? or is it the stock one?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

The transmission has not been rebuilt yet, the load I got was to get a new one, but it turned out it was just a bad sensor. So I used the loan money to get a warranty on the truck, which included all parts of the current transmission. So now I am waiting for the transmission to get worse so I can get it rebuilt through the warranty.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:47 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

o ok...misunderstood...well it does sound like a TC issue IMO

Old 01-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Kaldir
Veteran

That's what I was thinking too, need to get it in the shop to confirm, then get my warranty to fix fix fix.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ok so you took out a loan for $2500 and had a, say $70 sensor replaced and spent the rest on a warranty??
Even at expensive shops totally getting your tranny rebuilt is only about 2,200 bucks with a 70,000 mile 3 year warranty you got scammed into one of those bs warranty deals why would you pay more than a new tranny for a silly questionable 30,000 mile warranty on an old one that was acting up?? and worn out I hope I'm understanding this wrong...
and here in NY here you can get your tranny rebuilt for 1500 bucks around here or buy them rebuilt online for under a grand without as good of a warranty...and you still would have been further ahead..

Ok now I thingk i get it after rereading you bought an aftermarket warranty on the whole truck not as bad but.... look at the paperwork....guarantee it gives them the right to throw old junkyard parts in there...those warranty's were all the rage a while back till the news started talking about them...they make money by cutting corners whenever possible... I'd be worried they dont stick some lucas additive in there to cover the issue up till the warranties up myself...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-08-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Yay!!!! Transmission is about to blow!! (I think ^_~)