2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

318 swap for a 408?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:36 AM
tjs dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another question... to make my 408, all i need to have machined is the cylinders correct. then i just add desired cams and so forth, right. It has been a LONG while.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:23 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless you have the experience and know what your doing, I would pay to have them do it, That way, it's done and out of the way and done right.

If you do it, the motor will have to be stripped, hot tanked, checked for cracks, etc etc, and, who knows what condition the block is in that you find in the bone yard.

The other question is what condition the tappets and cam are in and so forth. IF shot, you'll end up having to buy a new set of those, installing them and the cam, custom length pushrods that match the deck / valve height of the heads etc. It starts to really stack up as you go along and, it takes quite a bit of time as well.

Some crate engines are totally worth the cash in my opinion and come with warranties too. Now, like anything in the world, there's good and bad so, do some research. Nine K is about average. Call Hughes, they have some wicked engines and tons of power and, they specialize in Mopar.

Last edited by cmckenna; 01-10-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:33 AM
busaguy05
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hughs wants a lot of money for there crap, hell summit is cheaper than him! If your looking for deals I would talk to John Mercedes at South East R/T http://www.southeastperformance.com/ He also can build you a 408 the way you want it. As for machine work to the blocks, it's a little more than just boring the block, they also have to clearance the block for the longer stroke of the crank shaft. If you can do the labor stuff your self you'll be way under that 9k price tag.

Quick Reply: 318 swap for a 408?