2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0411 and Gas Mileage???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 04:12 PM
JasonB
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
the pcm operates the evap vapor purge process every once in awhile. that's a cycle. i don't know if it does it at every startup, or every so often on time, or every so often on mileage. but when it does, it uses sucks the evaporated gasoline out of the charcoal cannister and into the intake where it can be burned. it somehow monitors the success of this process by measuring pressure or vacuum or something.

i noticed that when i had my p0441 going on, after resetting the pcm it took 2-3 days for the cel to come back on. so the pcm either had a long delay between purge cycles, or a tolerance for failure before it set the CEL.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h62.pdf

by design, the pcm contains some capacitors that hold power to the pcm memory, so that you can change a battery and not lose stored codes or adaptive (big word) memory. if you leave the battery disconnected long enough (an hour?), those capacitors will drain on their own. if you turn on the headlights, or turn the ignition to start, then the increased short to ground will drain the capacitors within about 30 secs. this is referred to as resetting the pcm.
Thanks my friend yet again...... The way you explained cycles makes sense..... so while I'm watching some of the NFL playoffs today I will google cycles and see if I can find just when the purge process starts... or what triggers it. I think I will run my truck for a while to see if the light is reset.....

Old 01-09-2010, 04:14 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

FYI higher elevations will change the fuel/air ratios...

Old 01-09-2010, 04:20 PM
JasonB
Professional

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
FYI higher elevations will change the fuel/air ratios...
Thanks....... I live in Colorado and driving here can have some major elevation changes....

Old 01-09-2010, 04:48 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i use to live in Maine, id go camping with my dad (he drove a 96 ram 1500 5.2 2wd) and when we started climbing, she kept downshifting/boggin, when we went down the other side, CEL always popped on and she'd run fine....first time it happened he looked at me and goes, "that was nothin, always does it,.. is it my hit?" lol, and then thats how i learned of the elevation thing....he just would unhook the battery when we got there, and hook it back up 5 mins later with no more CEL....then it was time to get beer...

Old 01-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The '97 Ram did not do evaperative system leak detection so you can leave the gas cap off and it doesn't care. The P0441 code means the computor does not see the purge system working. The solinoid is not working, no vacumn to the solinoid, canister disconnected, etc. The computor energizes the purge solinoid and looks for O2 sensor response, if it see's nothing, you get the code. You could have real slow responding O2 sensors, that would make the lamp more intermitent

Old 01-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ If that is true, then explain to me how replacing the gas cap fixes the issue 90% of the time.

There is more than ONE fix to be had out of a CEL.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Evaperative emission leak testing started in the '98 model year so that year and newer, leaving the gas cap loose causes a leak and sets a code. The '97 has no leak testing so leaving the gas cap off does nothing but create a fire hazzard. If your getting a P0441 in that year it's because the purge system isn't working.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:31 PM
RedRigRon
Rookie

Just curious, is your purge valve hooked up the right way? Meaning the bottom is bottom and top is top.
I put mine upside down awhile back and it gave me the CEL. until I checked and found my purge valve upside down. I flip it around, reset my PCM, and was good to go.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
Evaperative emission leak testing started in the '98 model year so that year and newer, leaving the gas cap loose causes a leak and sets a code. The '97 has no leak testing so leaving the gas cap off does nothing but create a fire hazzard. If your getting a P0441 in that year it's because the purge system isn't working.
You are partially correct, but you are forgetting that the 2nd quarter production line of rams in 97 were configured a little differently. MY P0441 issue WAS solved by a simple changing of the gas cap.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:45 PM
JasonB
Professional

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
Thanks Tizzy... I did replace my original 13 yr old gas cap today... and plan to see if the system purges itself in the next xxx days.

This is what I don't understand..... if my "system" is broken why doesn't the check light come right back on immediately ..... after I reset it by disconnecting the negative battery cable.... ???

In other words the light doesn't come on for thousands of miles and then decides that the purge systems isn't working... Sorry but I'm sort of groping for words...... LOL

Quick Reply: P0411 and Gas Mileage???