2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Show me your Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:39 PM
aszarek001
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show me your Sirius

I'm looking to put sirius in my 2001 Ram but I would like to put the receiver in a spot so the install looks clean and not just stuck to the windshield or on top of the dash. I would hardwire the power also so I dont have wires hanging everywhere.

Can anyone show me a pic of how you sirius is set up?

Thanks

Old 01-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you know that if you have siruis and disconnct the radio and then call and have it turned off or service transferred to another radio and dont turn the old one back on for like 6 months it will continue to work for free after the 6 months....they send a signal related to the specific sgn# of the radio to terminate the service but after 6 months or so they quit sending it so it just keeps working for free....

Old 01-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm. That's not real easy in the 98 and up rams. On the 97 and below, I just stick them to the drink carrier and go on.

Don't you all have a cubby hole not to far from the actual radio???

Old 01-09-2010, 09:14 PM
acsamples79
Veteran

funny you started this thread, i havent posted in a while, and i was going to start a thread with new pics of my truck, but with all the snow and salt i havent had a chance to clean her up a bit, some of the pics were going to be my sirius install....i have 3 pics of my STILLETO 2, i dont know if any other radios would mount like mine, but since i dont know what kind you have i figured id show em anyway

the only things that bother me, one of them is i didnt hide the AUXILARY cable running to the front of my head unit, mainly because ill need it for my ipod some too so i needed the slack, i didnt install the cable thats supposed to improve FM transmitting, because i knew the aux cable would sound better, but if you use the extra cable to improve the FM signal because your using the transmitter then, it would look cleaner.. the only other thing is the small wire you see from the 12 volt plug to the dash piece.....but besides that, im pretty happy with it...

by the way the extra small black wire you see near the cup holder (it looks like it runs from right under the sirius radio in the 3rd pic) isnt to the sirius, its a random wire i never have removed for something else, the only wires you can see on the sirius is the AUX cable and the few inches of 12 volt wire

Last edited by acsamples79; 01-09-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's mine. I made it myself because I was having a hard time finding a good location as well, and didn't really like any of the mouting solutions from places like Crutchfield or from Sirius/XM.

Last edited by Silver_Dodge; 06-04-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:41 PM
joekool4
Professional

pop out an a/c vent above the radio.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Eddielx
Professional

You could just buy a radio with the sirius built in.I had one in my van.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I think you have failed if you have to lose an AC vent or a cubby hole to install your receiver. That is not a solution in my opinion. You should be able to have best of both worlds.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:04 PM
acsamples79
Veteran

Originally Posted by Eddielx
You could just buy a radio with the sirius built in.I had one in my van.
i bought a new head unit that was sirius ready,....unfortunately its far from ready, you have to buy the tuner box and an adapter, it was going to cost me, $140 extra to do the built in sirius with my pioneer, and i bought the stilleto 2 with a vehicle kit for about $180, the beauty of it, is i can listen to my stiletto anywhere including the truck, for a little over the cost of just having it built in....def. something to look at,

and like silver said, if you do use the cubby then its probably not good, for me, i put mine there because all the cubby ever did was pile up change, nothing else, so it worked out good, and as far as a vent, i wouldnt do that, just my opinion though!

Old 01-09-2010, 10:57 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Did you know that if you have siruis and disconnct the radio and then call and have it turned off or service transferred to another radio and dont turn the old one back on for like 6 months it will continue to work for free after the 6 months....they send a signal related to the specific sgn# of the radio to terminate the service but after 6 months or so they quit sending it so it just keeps working for free....
I have heard of this but also heard it will still only work until they do a channel update. Then you lose it.

Mine is tucked up behind my glovebox wired into my headunit. Got tired of the separate receiver mounted on my dash.

Quick Reply: Show me your Sirius