2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intake gasket problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a month or two ago.
i called them and they said thats how they always do it on the magnums.
i was unsure about what to add silicone/gasket maker to and what to leave dry and that is why i called.
everything is bone dry from what i can see so far, so i have my fingers crossed. about a week ago i put a stock air box on and when i looked in the throttle body i saw that nice shiny aluminum.
of course i am getting crap mileage since the plenum fix, so i'm not sure what to do about that. i did put a set of ngk v-powers in there and indexed them before i got it all back together, maybe my truck just doesn't like any plugs other than the bosch +4s.
i also changed the upstream o2 sensor when i put the stock air box on. and i'm about to order a magnaflow cat and maybe a superchips 3815 (3715, 3865?).

Last edited by Sheriff420; 01-13-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:10 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used high temp RTV as well on the corners. Sherrif just give it a little time so the PCM relearns, my mileage never really dipped even with a bad plenum but I believe I am getting on average 2 more miles out of every gallon.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:26 PM
jmhai
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
Very interesting. There was a piece of paper that came with my reinforcement kit, right underneath the torque sequence diagram, that stated not to. I wonder if they changed their policy at some point.

When was yours done, Sheriff?
Yes, the paper was instructions for the hughes pan gasket and plate. I didn't get any instructions for the intake to head/block gaskets.. Did it like Sheriff420 and no problems..

Quick Reply: Intake gasket problem