2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need directional advice on monster rig

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:36 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, i saw the pics in the T-Rex thread

to me, bro-fab and backyard building are basically the same thing (which i do alot of, working on my Jeep, now i just need to get the axles under, the front will be real easy, radius arm setup and a set of custom mounts, probably won't flex worth a crap under the light weight of my XJ though)

Old 01-16-2010, 01:50 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is coming from my personal build here so take it for what its worth... i have a 1998 1500... spent 9k on it, and in 2wd i go where broncos on 38.5 boggers cant( an i have 37X12.50 tsls) and i sit higher then all the trucks i go wheeling with... its not that much of a build... get the skyjacker 7 inch lift springs, and long arms, DTprofab tracbar, and get some custom leafs made up, and youll fit 37's fine, and flx them a bit

as for the specialized axles... bad idea, parts are worse to find or get... just go with a set of D60's, do a healthy 360 build, and put the NV4500 behind it, gear to 4.88 and youll be happy... trust me... i have a little bit more lift then this, and i am happy, going to 40's here soon, then doin 3inch body lift, and fittin 44's... so just do that stuff... but ya know, dont listen to me... i only built with your getting ready to build...

Name:  sittintaller.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  67.5 KB

Old 01-16-2010, 01:56 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

gotta hand it to ya, that is a sweet rig (i wish i had a second ram RCSB to build into a super short truggy) heck i'd make it street legal and use it as a farm beater...maybe when i get a diesel someday, i'll buy one and build

Old 01-16-2010, 02:01 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

yea... posilock cable installed, i go 2lo... and creep through everything... im goin again tomorrow,,, ill get some pics..

Old 01-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by meanwhitemopar
this is coming from my personal build here so take it for what its worth... i have a 1998 1500... spent 9k on it, and in 2wd i go where broncos on 38.5 boggers cant( an i have 37X12.50 tsls) and i sit higher then all the trucks i go wheeling with... its not that much of a build... get the skyjacker 7 inch lift springs, and long arms, DTprofab tracbar, and get some custom leafs made up, and youll fit 37's fine, and flx them a bit

as for the specialized axles... bad idea, parts are worse to find or get... just go with a set of D60's, do a healthy 360 build, and put the NV4500 behind it, gear to 4.88 and youll be happy... trust me... i have a little bit more lift then this, and i am happy, going to 40's here soon, then doin 3inch body lift, and fittin 44's... so just do that stuff... but ya know, dont listen to me... i only built with your getting ready to build...

trucks looking good man!.....giving me the itch to go bigger....

Old 01-16-2010, 02:49 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Awesome!! This brings up another point: brakes. Aside from bigger calipers and wheel cylinders, what would I have to do to get one ton brakes? As in, is it just a master cylinder swap, or do I need a one ton ABS module as well? This is still intended to be a daily driver, and be required to pull a few trailers.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:59 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

well, like i said, i pulled D60s from a 3500... and the master cylenders are the same. but it just come with bigger brakes all around, i have an PowerSlot brakes upgrade to mine too... i hve two piston calipers, drilled and slotted rotors, and EBC yellow stuff pads... for rear i did the new dodge 1ton wheel cylinders, and got the EBC yellow stuff shoes for it... ill lock those 37s up on pavement... ive done it before...

as for steering, i have the 1ton box, borgesan shaft, and PCS pump... all moog linkages... and the pitman arm i have is the skyjacker extreme drop pitman arm... i have no issues, and i drive mine daily too

Old 01-16-2010, 03:01 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

and auggie.... yor truck looks good now, put the 5inch skyjacker, and 35's, youd be lookin even better

Old 01-16-2010, 03:56 PM
audiomechanic
Captain

Originally Posted by meanwhitemopar
That right there is simply beautiful, meanwhitemopar. Look even better if it was black.

Some of the things you've done, I'm planning to do eventually. I'll likely stick with my D44s because I don't really plan on going bigger than 35s. I would like to do the 1-ton steering upgrade and use a 2500 or 3500 steering gear and a nice beefy trackbar. My biggest goal, however, is to swap in an NV4500 trans. I hate Hate HATE the 46RE(tarded) transmissions and want mine out of my truck ASAP. But, unfortunately, I'll have to wait a bit until finances allow me to purchase a 2500 donor truck for the swap. Oh, well.

I'm going to have to consult you in a year or so when I hopefully have the funds to get started on this stuff.

Again, great lookin truck, man!

Old 01-16-2010, 05:52 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

well i thank you... and i still have the retard... but i had it built by a truck pull shop... all they deal with is offroad and tractor pulls and one on one truck pulls... and my trans is garrenteed for life.. guy outright told me, if i put his name somewhere on my truck, he will warrentee it for life, it i ever break it, ship it back and he fix fix/upgrade the broken parts and send it back for free.. to include the 2000 stall converter... transgo HD2 shift kit.. and all kevlar bands... so im pretty well set there.. but yea, yall got questions, ask, ill be more then happy to answer.. not to thread jack, but this is the results your wanting.. head turning, unstoppable but driveable truck.. this is what i built mine for..

and as or the D44 front and 9.25 rear, they are good axles.. really are, but not ment for playing hard, ive seen 33's snap shafts on the 44 in the mud... 60s are just worth it..

Quick Reply: Need directional advice on monster rig