2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thinking about getting.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Chadlow21
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting.....

I am thinking of going with a Hypertech tuner instead of another Superchips. Since the last one most likely screwed up my truck. Anyone know if the 50004 dodge hypertech programmer is any good? I know that SCT is hot, but I can't afford one. I see that the SC 3865 claims to add around 46hp, anyone know if Hypetech is comparable?

Old 01-20-2010, 03:29 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Did you even get your abs light figured out first? Get yourself back on your feet, then worry about a tuner afterwords. But to answer your question, the SC is more popular than hypertech. Also SC's tunes are probably more current than hypertech when using a 3815 or 3865.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:36 PM
yakkier
Banned

I dont really see the point in tuners anyways, whatever happend to bolt on performance?

Old 01-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Chadlow21
Professional

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
Did you even get your abs light figured out first? Get yourself back on your feet, then worry about a tuner afterwords. But to answer your question, the SC is more popular than hypertech. Also SC's tunes are probably more current than hypertech when using a 3815 or 3865.
I posted in my other thread that I am selling my tuner tonight and I am having my ecu checked tomorrow after work. I have an oportunity to buy a Hypertech 50004 tuner cheap. I don't want to pass it up. I was not happy with SC tech support and I don't trust that old tuner anyway. I will find out about the codes and take care of that. Then I'll install another tuner. I'm a big boy.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:32 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i ran a hypertech 50006 for 2001 for a couple of years. it was ok, but i like the superchips a lot better.

the hypertech installed the tune and it worked ok. what wouldn't work was the speedometer correction. it simply wasn't offered. i called hypertech and asked why and they acted completely stupid and wouldn't help. since i bought it used, i had no warranty with them and nothing to return - but i expected a much more intelligent level of tech support. other members haven't had this problem, so i was never able to understand it.

the other thing about the hypertech is that since its year specific, it has very little resale value. so don't pay much and you'll be ok.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:41 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by yakkier
I dont really see the point in tuners anyways, whatever happend to bolt on performance?
Technology happened.

What did the Superchips do to your truck to mess it up? Personally, I'd go with the Superchips.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:48 PM
yakkier
Banned

Superchips didnt do ne thing to my truck, but i had a programmer for my durango and it screwed up my air/fuel ratio ended up having to replace the computer

Old 01-20-2010, 07:26 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Superchips didnt do ne thing to my truck
Maybe because you have a '94?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yakkier
dodge happened to bolt on performance with the death flash.
since the timing is controlled by the pcm and the timing was taken back (in the pcm) to hide the plenum issue, you need a superchips to fix dodge's blunder.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:38 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Well also, since fuel management and timing is all controlled by the PCM, it is nothing like back in the old days where you could turn the distributor and advance or retard the timing, or adjust the fuel pump or carburator and get more fuel. Like I said, technology happened.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting.....