2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

little info and formal introduction

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:38 AM
Dakine69302
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default little info and formal introduction

Hi all, i signed up back in 2007 but haven't ever gotten on until the last couple weeks and figured i should give myself a formal introduction since i am on here everyday now. I picked up my 99 ram 1500 5.9L 4X4 in 2007 with 86k miles. Wasn't anything too special but i saw the potential. Put a sturdy brush guard on it because i like to drive everywhere and not have to worry about breaking my grill or a headlight. Since my truck purchase i started off with a cold air intake by K&N...still not sure if that was worth the money. I then purchased the superchip tuner and installed that. then i had the worn out cat ripped out and put on a high flow cat back to a flowmaster 40 series to dual 2.5 inch pipes. A year later i got sick of looking at the stock height and oddly worn out tires so i replaced the track bar and front right balljoint, alignment done, and put a 4" lift in the front and a 3" lift in the rear to give it some height and also level it out a little bit, and put on bfg mud terrain KM2's on some nice (and nicely priced) 17" wheels. Don't like the 20's but did want to go up a little bit in wheel size. Since then haven't done much, isntalled an alpine deck going back to a rockford fosgate amp with a single 10" in a custom built box to go under the rear seat, just to get a little bit of a bump for my rock and country music. I have a tool box to carry my full sized floor jack and jack stands that was an old aluminum one that i rattle canned black with the rubberized undercoating, then applied 3 coats of clear coat and it actually turned out really nice for a rattle can job. I did the same inside the wheel wells to give it a fresh look (box and wheel wells were not done yet when i took the picture) and i think that's it. My next few projects are the plenum gasket, going to attempt it myself, full tuneup with autolite plugs, msd wires and oem cap and rotor, and replace the stat with a 180 degree stat. Throw some new rotors and pads on and call it good for a while. Anyways, that's me!

Last edited by Dakine69302; 01-21-2010 at 02:39 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-21-2010, 02:53 AM
wake
Captain

howdy there..welcome to the club..havent been on that long around here..but ive been on auto forums since about '04 and i know my way around

seems like youve done a good amount to your truck..it looks good..i two have a custom set up going..accept im going with 2 10's in a guad bandpass box..dig around im sure youll find some pics of my truck and the interior..it aint done yet..currently im waiting on finding a job so i can get the calipers,pads,rotors and ride side upper and lower ball joints done..

lucas

Old 01-21-2010, 05:35 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to DF, the friendliest and most informative Dodge site on the web. Now sit down shut up and listen!!! Post ALL the info about your truck in your sig,it's easier for people to see and you don't have to write it or be asked questions about it.

Don't waste your time with the 180 stat. Put the stock 195 in.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:08 AM
Green1500

Nice truck, new on here also. I have an 01 1500 stock with a 14x3 and E3 plugs. Will change soon.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:10 AM
halfamil
All Star

Welcome, looks like you have some knowlege on Rams, they are great trucks, and 86 k is a low miles 11 year old truck. Just keep the preventive maintainence up, and it will last a very long time. On mine, when a problem shows up, I fix it, and do not spend unnecessary $$ on it. My truck still has most of the original parts on it, including all the internal engine parts. If it ain't broke don't fix it!!! Good to have you, Tom

Old 01-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Dakine69302
Rookie

thank you! as for preventative maintanence is there anything else i should do besides the plenum fix and tuneup...i have 119k miles now and no major problems that i know of besides the plenum, but willing to take any advice to prevent any possible upcoming problems.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:45 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakine69302
thank you! as for preventative maintanence is there anything else i should do besides the plenum fix and tuneup...i have 119k miles now and no major problems that i know of besides the plenum, but willing to take any advice to prevent any possible upcoming problems.
Change the water pump and timing chain while you are in there, too.

Welcome to Dodge Forum, I'm Nathan, the 14 year old forum idiot.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:13 PM
halfamil
All Star

Originally Posted by Dakine69302
Dak, I sent you a private message.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:41 PM
wake
Captain

maybe i missed it..but give a check to your ball joints..dont wait till then look like this

my right lower one is on its way out..its painfully clear..

Name:  imagejpeg_14.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  45.7 KB

Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats pretty bad! Get it fixed before the front tires start cupping!

Quick Reply: little info and formal introduction