2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

High beams work, Low don't

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 01:43 AM
brownda1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High beams work, Low don't

2001 Dodge Ram 1500: Both highbeam lights work fine, but when I switch to low beam, headlights go out. Fuses aren't the problem. In fact, the low beams work along with the high when I hold back on the dimmer switch on the column. Parking and fog lights are working fine also. I guess I could drive around on highbeam at night, but I would love to fix this problem.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:01 PM
loot87
Default RE: High beams work, Low don't

I'm having this issue on a pretty regular basis. Is this a low beam relay issue?
I have an 01 2500

Old 01-24-2007, 11:50 PM
badram1500
Veteran

had a similar problem on mine, turned out to be a connector in the wiring harness at the headlight switch, I'd turn the high beams off and have no low beams.(nice at night) traced in to the switch and tightened the pins up and that was the fix

Old 01-25-2007, 12:17 AM
CopperDesigno
Professional

I just had this issue, I spent an hour in the cold testing the fuse and pulling bulbs. I re-seated the bulbs and then flicked the high beams on/off which seamed to have fixed it. I don't which one did it, I didn't check the low beams in between those two tests, but I had low beams, which is good enough to get me home.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:12 AM
MiaTurbo
Professional

it's a long shot, but are you sure the filiments themselves are ok? I had both of mine in my 91 miata go at the same time. I spent about an hour trying to find out what happened, and looking for a short. Turns out both bulbs had gone bad at the same time.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:46 AM
CopperDesigno
Professional

The low beams came back on, so the filiments seem to be fine. But just for kicks, I am going to put new bulbs in this weekend.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:46 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

the head light swtiches are known to be crappy and burn out remember that

Old 10-02-2007, 07:26 PM
jforest

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4X4 with a low beam problem. The running lights go on when the truck ignition is on so the bulbs are good I guess. The high beams work OK and the fog lights work OK too. For a while, turning the high beams on and off with the lever on the steering column would clear the problem but that little trick is not working anymore, Checked the connections on the swithch and everything looks OK. Right now, I use the fog lights at night and the halogen bulbs light the way better than nothing instead of being a *$^()^%@#%)and driving with my high beams. Anmything I can try before I buy a new switch which might not work and can't be returned or heaven forbid, bring it to a garage or dealer and let them try to find the problem. Both of those could cost big bucks. Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply: High beams work, Low don't