2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Antifreeze smell/leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 01:20 AM
sugahplm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you both. no leaks at all so far on floorboard. i think he doesn't want to flush for just that reason anyway....might cause more "damage" and would have to change out anyway, pretty sure this is original and would also wasted time doing that when could be applied to changing out. but will give him all info. i kindof wish he would try and maybe last until spring but....

if the heater core were clogged and then you used your a/c how would that be? would a/c still work well? i know i heard that kinda hissing sound and some gurgling months back when i rode in it last and i think a/c was on. heater core problems starting?

yes i did a search but being a "girl" and all i just got tired of looking and picked the best i could understand and with pics so would appreciate any help. i am usually the computer person...he kinda hates them....so thats why i am here. he works very long hours so i try to take up the slack.

oh and he only has tomorrow to do it so time is of the essence.

yeah send me anything you can find. like i said earlier he has done this before but in a dodge van different but at least it's not his first time.

thanks again

Old 01-31-2010, 01:28 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bypass the heater core until you have time to fix it. Connect the inlet hose and the outlet hose together. You won't get heat but your A/C won't be affected either.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:33 AM
sugahplm

can't do that now as he needs heat! freezing here in north texas awful winter this year. but got to have heat. any links you can find that shows/tells in detail how to flush it out if he decides to do that? i mean really detailed? thanks again

Old 01-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if the windows are fogging then it is leaking and flushing it won't help.
the gurgling noise is from air in the cooling system that was more than likely introduced through the heater core.

here's the DIY, read the whole thing because it was amended a couple times with more info.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...placement.html

and you don't have to remove the evap case or disconnect the ac lines. after you take the bolts off the pcm and take the band off the ac condenser then you can pull the evap case back far enough to get the heater core out. check and double check all the wires that got unplugged before you start it up, it would suck to have to take it back apart because you forgot to plug something in.

J415, put this in your bookmarks folder for quick reference in the future. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...diy-links.html

Old 01-31-2010, 11:26 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a lot of people won't agree with this, but given that this is your daily driver, its winter time, and the heater is already leaking and fogging the windshield - which makes it dangerous to drive, and the only long term solution is a time consuming or expensive replacement....

i'd try a hi-tech stop leak product. either an aluminum or copper or glass or whatever walmart or autozone carries. its not going to hurt anything, and it'll either work or it won't...

lower tech stop leak products i've seen work are black pepper or an egg.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:54 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
J415, put this in your bookmarks folder for quick reference in the future. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...diy-links.html
Thanks sheriff. I always seem to forget where that damn link is, then I find it. Then I lose it...I have the memory of a goldfish sometimes.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:58 PM
yakkier
Banned

Damn thats a gamble, but might work.

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
a lot of people won't agree with this, but given that this is your daily driver, its winter time, and the heater is already leaking and fogging the windshield - which makes it dangerous to drive, and the only long term solution is a time consuming or expensive replacement....

i'd try a hi-tech stop leak product. either an aluminum or copper or glass or whatever walmart or autozone carries. its not going to hurt anything, and it'll either work or it won't...

lower tech stop leak products i've seen work are black pepper or an egg.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
Thanks sheriff. I always seem to forget where that damn link is, then I find it. Then I lose it...I have the memory of a goldfish sometimes.
it got buried pretty good when the faq section was created and the last time i saw it posted i bookmarked it so i wouldn't lose it again.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

bars stop leak (the cheap $3 one) worked great to stop my slow softplug leak.... the other thing is if your dakota has the same carpet as my ram the floor could be soaked and you wouldnt know especially if the fluid was trickling down the firewall....the carpet have a thick rubber mat as a base and then thick padding/noise insulation under that...mine was soaked when I pulled it up to run car stereo wiring but I never would have know had I not pulled it up...

Old 02-01-2010, 01:39 PM
yakkier
Banned

^ good point.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze smell/leak?