2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer Case problem, 94 Ram 3500!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Dirty Offio
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case problem, 94 Ram 3500!!

Hi all.

Ok, I have a 1994 Ram 3500 dually, 4x4, Cummins, 5 speed truck. I have had the transfer case rebuilt twice now (NP241), it is only lasting about 6 months between rebuilds. The truck does not spend alot of time in 4x4, I pull a 48 foot gooseneck trailer running hotshot. I think the truck only got locked in about a dozen times on this last rebuild...not many more on the one before that. I had a reputable shop rebuild it both times, place has been in business for almost 40 years, and has a stellar rep locally. I know a company that has the same problem with 4 2nd gen Rams. Here is my idea, if any one knows anything about this please chime in! Thanks!

FACTS (To the best of my knowledge)
1. NP241 = POS.
2. NP205 = A1 transfer case, strong as they come.
3. 1st gen rams have a 205 on the Getrag.
4. It is basiclly a direct bolt to swap in a nv 4500 into the 1st gen trucks.
5. Can't swap np205 into 2nd gen due to transfer case output is on wrong side.
(Left on 2nd gen, right on 1st gen)
6. Ford 205's have a left output.

So, what if I take a ford married 205, and have the shop put in the Dodge imput shaft and output yokes in/on it? That should give me a NP205 with a left output, that will fit into a 2nd gen Ram...right? I realize a bit of work will probably be required on the drive lines...but I hope that by using the Dodge yokes, that will be kept to a minimum. I also know that the shift lever is going to have to be fabbed up, gonna put in a twin stick if it will work tho.

As a side benefit, most of the times that I have locked it in, I usually put it in 4lo for the gear reduction. Using the 205, I would gain 2lo. (have shop leave detent pin out when rebuilding.)

As far as the front end goes, can I convert the Dana 60 in my truck to manual hubs or would I be better off finding some sort of a vacuum switch to mount in the cab for locking the front end in? (I dig shift on the fly, but with this truck, I usually know I am going to need 4x4 proir to actually having to have it. (pull into customer driveway and look around...yep, gonna need 4 wheel dig to get in here!)

Ok, so there is my situation. Here are the questions.

Can the Ford 205 be "converted" to a Dodge 205?
Can the front end be converted to lockouts or is a vacuum switch required?

Thanks for any help folks!!

Dirty Offio

Old 01-28-2010, 12:00 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

First, why are you having the 241 re-built so many times? "Its a POS" isnt a logical explanation! Is it not engaging, or something?

Old 01-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Dirty Offio
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops, Forgot to put that in. My bad. Both times the chain has started to "pop" driving down the road in 2H, pops in 4H and 4L as well. Chain was replaced both times, as well as the gears. It is doing the same thing this time. Oh, and just to cover it, no, it was not leaking, and the level stayed full. Like I said, I run hotshot, and I am home for about a week between runs, generally. I do my oil changes, maintenance, and check the fluids in all the boxes during each down period. (When you are an owner operator, it really sucks to break down 1000 miles from home, for something you should have caught before you left.)

I never have really cared for chain driven cases, but until this one I had not had any serious problems with them...just prefered gear drive, since anytime there is a chain, there is another potential failure point. Same thing with Timing on a gas engine, chains work, belts are quieter, but if you are building alot of power (and don't intend to tear it down ever couple dozen passes) alot of people opt for 1 of the gear driven timing setups, i.e. Pete Jackson, Edlebrock, etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on if the swap will work?

Offio

Quick Reply: Transfer Case problem, 94 Ram 3500!!