2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Couple questions on a boosted 5.9 Magnum build.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 05:41 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lastrights
i love running open headers , you should throw a cutout under it !
I got the down pipes and y-pipe off of an 01 Ram, so I plan to run open 3" single exhaust under it until I get an unwelcome visit from the local lawman... But I get a feeling they aren't going to suspect an Intrepid of making so much noise :P

Old 05-13-2010, 06:21 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you going to paint the car, whats all done too the motor ? i suspect its going to be pretty quick , what gearing is in the rear end ?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:00 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

are you going to paint the car, whats all done too the motor ? i suspect its going to be pretty quick , what gearing is in the rear end ?
Well, since the 92 318s had a cam that only had .373/.400 valve lift and a shorter duration, I threw in the 01 360 cam I had laying around which is .432/.432 and IIRC has about 10* more duration on each lobe (I also advanced it 6* to move the powerband up). I cleaned up the heads best I could without removing them (didn't have the budget for head gaskets and studs). <- I managed to remove quite a bit of the pushrod pinch and did a lot of reshaping on the topside of the runners. I did the kegger mods and made my own plenum plate, as well as opened up the TB to a true twin 50mm. I also added a set of 23.2lb/hr injectors from a 97 ram, vs the tiny 18.2lb/hr injectors, so it wouldn't lean out due to the extra airflow (the math for the 18.2s said they would only support ~240bhp). The whole idea of this 318 was to do simple cheap DIY mods to see what kind of performance it had in it. But the main goal isn't so much performance oriented as it is to see if it can compete with the V6 fuel economy... The 360 that is planned for later will take care of any substandard performance

EDIT: the 8.25 currently is a peg leg packing 3.50 gears (which is ideal for 25" tires), but it will eventually get a locker/posi of sorts and a set of long traction bars

Paint will be a cross between this
Name:  chriswerner.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  52.6 KB
^^^BTW that is a 1451rwhp DAILY DRIVER

and this
Name:  treppaint.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  30.3 KB

Difference will be black on the bottom half and I plan to retain the factory metalic silver for the top and the stripes.

Rims will be the 06 Charger 18" pieces wrapped in Goodyear 245/40R18 Eagle F1 All Seasons
Name:  chargerrims.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  33.0 KB

and the dash/a-pillar gauge pod will be filled with gauges like this
Name:  gauge.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  13.9 KB

Old 05-13-2010, 08:12 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dude you should do midnight purple with flakes in it

Old 05-14-2010, 09:42 AM
blackskyracing
Veteran

dude you should do midnight purple with flakes in it
You mean instead of the black on the bottom? Hmm, that could be interesting.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:33 AM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Well, it`s been nearly three months and I`ve finally gotten a chance to work on the car again... Found out that ram`s and probably dakotas must use some sort of special bracket on the transmission to install a ratchet shifter. Shortened the driveshaft and reworked the front leaf spring mounts. Tomorrow I have to make upper shock mounts, install my shocks, and install a temporary cooling fan. Then all that will be left is to fab up some exhaust past the O2 sensor... Eventually I`ll have to hook up the heater, install my gauges, and get a dual fan set up installed. But for now that would make it driveable

Old 08-07-2010, 04:36 AM
ColoradoRamLover
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This seems like its gonna be pretty sick... Once done lol

Old 08-19-2010, 12:12 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Didn't think I would ever say it, but this thing is definitely going to need a muffler... I'm thinkin Thrush Welded since I can pick them up at work for just under $35

ENJOY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roBYZlPQD08

Old 08-19-2010, 01:25 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Pretty beast right there...thats with just the 5.2 motor???

Old 08-20-2010, 10:53 AM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
Pretty beast right there...thats with just the 5.2 motor???
I know... it`s the 318 that thinks it is a 360 :P I shifted to 2nd too soon IMO bogged out a little, but it was coming back before I let off the brakes. I did a repeat on a different road for some friends and let it wind out to 5200 (it actually bounced once on the rev limiter) before shifting to 2nd. All I can say is that tire is TOAST, it didn`t bog out and wound up to about 4800 in 2nd before I let out the brakes... I can`t wait to get my posi though, double the tire smoke

Quick Reply: Couple questions on a boosted 5.9 Magnum build.