2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need advice on cylinder heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by babyhuey6810
I dont think you really grasp the discussion.Im not sure how you can compare an intake with a cylinder head?Like apples to a-bombs.I think your big on hat,but a little light on cattle.In the real world we fix what eggheads design,thats how the dirt gets under the figernails.At least you have figured out that 500$ heads work as good as your edelbrocks.Use the force luke.Grab a wrench instead of a textbook.Amazing what you learn under a hood.
(in polite tone) Just so you know, I do all my own work. Thank you.

Just because I am an engineer doesn't mean that I don't get dirty or that I don't know how. I am very hands on actually and, I like machining as well as fine woodworking and carpentry, electronics and audio recording.

Home renovations: I do all the work myself.

Just to provide a bit of info so that you don't get the wrong idea about engineers being nothing but bookworms or geeks as we are commonly stereotyped.

CM

Old 02-03-2010, 01:01 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not get the CCH 2.02 heads? Basically the same as the Hughes but a hell of a lot cheaper.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:00 PM
TheGreatDrake
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly because I just haven't seen those yet. anytime I look its always overpriced oem or rebuilt, eddys, or hughes. if you know where to find em for a good price could you point me in that direction?

Old 02-03-2010, 02:09 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.cylinder-heads.com/index.cfm

Give them a call and tell them what your looking for. I got mine off ebay but I can't find any on there now. I got the 1.92 heads and paid like 750 for the pair. Others on here have picked up the 2.02 heads for that price through them. They lowered their prices after I got mine I guess

Old 02-03-2010, 07:25 PM
helms
All Star

Originally Posted by babyhuey6810
I think your big on hat,but a little light on cattle.
I LOL'd.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:46 PM
greenmachine
All Star

My setup is the EQ "Monster" heads 2.02/1.62 and Scorpion 1.72's on a stock Mopar cam. Forged custom pistons/rods. The heads I got from CCH for 450 with upgrade springs/guides.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 PM
TheGreatDrake

thanks blue for the heads up i'll check those out. and wow 450 with 2.02's? that's not bad at all the ones I was looking at were 1.92's polished for 800. that's almost enough of a difference to pay for the rockers too. and green I looooooooooooooove the color of your truck. I've wanted to paint mine like that but with black accents. it looks great btw

Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 AM
greenmachine
All Star

Originally Posted by TheGreatDrake
thanks blue for the heads up i'll check those out. and wow 450 with 2.02's? that's not bad at all the ones I was looking at were 1.92's polished for 800. that's almost enough of a difference to pay for the rockers too. and green I looooooooooooooove the color of your truck. I've wanted to paint mine like that but with black accents. it looks great btw
I hope you understand that price is "per" not "pair" lol. The color is factory. I have not dug into when the truck was built but am thinking it is a late model '01. I have an old sales brochure and this color is not an option, guessing this is a '02 color. I only see a handful 1/2 ton this color mainly see it on the '02 1 ton dually.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:38 PM
TheGreatDrake

meh they come out to be the same price then, still its nice to have options.
I can honestly say i've never seen a dodge that color down here other than one 08 ram a challenger and a hand full of chargers. and whats bad is there is more rams here than mustangs and civics put together here, perhaps its just an uncommon color.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 PM
WO23Coronet
Amateur

If I were you I would get the iron replacements.

Go to Hughes Engines and look under the magnum section. P/N HUG 20300 is the Indy/RHS head for 875.00, comes with 1.92/1.60 alloy one peice valves. HUG 4670B is the Iron Ram for 699.99 with 1.92/1.60 alloy one piece valves. The Indy/RHS heads flow a little better, and both flow just as well or better that the Edelbrocks for 1/2 the price. You can upgrad them to stainless valves for $100 and both can be upgraded to 2.02's for approx $150 over the 1.92's stainless. You can also get them Super Prepped and they will flow enough for approx 550 hp. If it were me, I would get the set for 699.99. Alot of guys will get all bothered because of the steel alloy valves but it wouldn't bother me. They're still one piece and our trucks came with alloy valves from the factory and I doubt they're one piece valves, probably 2 piece, and I personally have never heard of a magnum dropping a valve. These also come with valve springs
that are good for .550 lift, and coil bind @ .620 lift

Given your budget of 1500, that would leave you with $800.00. That would get you the Hughes Edelbrock Air Gap Package and a reground cam by Bullet Cams, or headers, or a tuner. Then your Dodge would have some snap. Actually I would get a Tuner, an Air Gap and a cheap set of EBay shorty headers. Upgrade the cam at a later date when funds allow again

Quick Reply: need advice on cylinder heads