2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Getting Tranny Lines Built

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:56 PM
lblair04
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Tranny Lines Built

Hey all,

I have a 00 Ram and the rubber portion of the tranny lines are leaking (the lines that hook up to the steel and go into the cooler). Is there any downfall to having a reputable shop build me some new heavier rubber parts, with the threaded connection already on them? Then it will screw into the steel lines and into the cooler, and also eliminate the check ball?

The check ball might already be deleted...it looks like the steel line was cut and the rubber is held on with a clamp...is this factory??

Thanks

Old 02-02-2010, 10:11 PM
yakkier
Banned

i had the same problem with my durango, i actually went an bought some brake lines from napa and bent my own, and bypassed the rubber all togeather. But having some one make u some is a good idea also.

Edit: and i think it is dealer "fix" iv seen alot that have it and iv seen some that dont

Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only paid $70 and I got a set of brand new ones from Autozone. They are 3/8" line. After labor at a shop it would probablt at least cost the same.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have do it yourself rubber "transmission hose" and clamps, no check valve, cooler, and filter. no leaks.

its not factory to have the clamps. factory lines had crimps at the frame and crimp/quick connects at the radiator.

there's not thing wrong with rubber hose provided its rated for auto transmission fluid. just replace it about $3 per foot and double clamp it. its a lot of money to buy the factory hoses.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:03 AM
lblair04
Veteran

Thanks guys!

I just have some driving to do this summer between retraining and PCSing and want to have my truck be good to go! Would brake line (steel) be the same as what came factory on our trucks? I have a flaring tool and a bender, so I could make it all. Im waiting on the aftermarket cooler and check ball delete until after I get out of cold a$$ Alaska.

I love that my wife enjoys my truck just cause she likes to drive it, so she doesnt mind me spending some money on her. I used to have a Wrangler before the truck and she hated it cause it was manual and old, plus I hibernated in the garage with it lol.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:03 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

so since i had hose clamps on the rubber line that goes into radiator, does that mean check valve has been deleted? it doesnt look normal...ill get a pic this afternoon

Old 02-03-2010, 07:24 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the check valve is a brass or steel? fitting, about 1 inch long, located on one of the cooler lines, near the radiator, screwed onto the frame end of the flex hose.

if you don't see that, you have no check valve.

i'll look for squirrels pics. he did a very elaborate process of removing the check valve and replacing it with lots of screwed in fittings and hoses. i removed mine by hacking it off with a tubing cutter and using clamps with no screw in fittings.
pics - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ve-delete.html

Old 02-03-2010, 10:02 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

here is what a shop rigged up for me (minus the napa fitting) for the check valve delete. good to 4000 psi. (just incase )

Quick Reply: Getting Tranny Lines Built