2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Potential new truck? Need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:19 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
I installed the hitch myself (truck has only been to the shop once since I bought it). It is really easy to do. Its not the weight thats a problem its just that the truck isn't equipped to handle extra lights. Just expect a very fast turn signal.
That is because on 1994-1997 trucks you need to install a heavy duty flasher. I can see if I can get you the Mopar P/N for the heavy duty one.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:20 PM
rideordie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good call purpl, didn't know that.

Yeah it's definitely a 2nd gen ram. I actually didn't notice the dash cracking (I'm used to having a 95 so I didn't have it) but I'd think it probably does have it up there.

Here's what I'm thinking. It runs very well, but needs a few, hopefully little, fixes (leaks in the oil/coolant/PS like I said before) mechanically, and the body needs a lot of work. He says that they are small enough that he just keeps an eye on them and adds to them as needed.

However - For $2600, some panels and paint, a bumper from a scrap yard, and a little TLC, I could have a '98 ram with a 318 5 speed, with 82k miles that is a nice truck.

My only concern is that the leaks are bigger than just replacing a line or even the plenum.. But he did tell me straight out about all three, before I even looked at it. I kind of feel like if it were a big problem, he would have not said something.

Do you guys think it could be worth fixing up, or am I better off spending $3500 and finding a 2nd gen with ~140k miles thats in nice shape.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 PM
mr freeze
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some reason the rust on the body scares me more then the mechanical side of things in the big picture.I had a firebird that ran ok but I found out that bondo was holding most of it together.If it were only the bottoms of the doors it wouldnt be so bad but that by the cab and bed are nasty looking.Offer him 2000 maybe.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:55 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by mr freeze
For some reason the rust on the body scares me more then the mechanical side of things in the big picture.I had a firebird that ran ok but I found out that bondo was holding most of it together.If it were only the bottoms of the doors it wouldnt be so bad but that by the cab and bed are nasty looking.Offer him 2000 maybe.
Well..There definitely wouldn't be any surprises in the body I don't think. It's pretty much right in front of you looking at it, but it is definitely a lot of work. It would need to be done the right way (replacement panels, sanded down, repainted) but my dad says once you do it once you gotta do it every couple years b/c its nearly impossible to get rid of it all.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rideordie
Do you guys think it could be worth fixing up, or am I better off spending $3500 and finding a 2nd gen with ~140k miles thats in nice shape.
To be honest, I think a truck with 140k miles that has been well taken care of is better than one with 86k miles that has been neglected. My truck had 102k on it when I bought it, but the PO had all the service records and it had only been serviced by the dealer up until 2007 (service contract).

Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its got a LOT of rust, split seat, bent bumper, manual trans, plain wheels, oil leak coolant leak, hole in dash? nasty looking inside.
i'd wouldn't pay more than $2000, would prefer less than that.

kbb says 3300 in good condition, 2900 in fair.
i think that one is way less than fair, and down in the poor category.
it would cost a BOATLOAD of money to have the body fixed and painted.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Ok. I'll keep looking I suppose.

Thanks for your opinions. Appreciate it.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
That is because on 1994-1997 trucks you need to install a heavy duty flasher. I can see if I can get you the Mopar P/N for the heavy duty one.
Is the flasher a relay? I have a a slot on underhood fuse box for a trailer relay but there are no metal contacts in it. If it is something else or if it is just an HD relay for the standard taillight position I would love to get more info on it. The fast flasher drives me nuts!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:45 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you like the truck and want to work on it and fix it up. offer $2000 and hold firm to it. i doubt it will bring more than that.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:46 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
Is the flasher a relay? I have a a slot on underhood fuse box for a trailer relay but there are no metal contacts in it. If it is something else or if it is just an HD relay for the standard taillight position I would love to get more info on it. The fast flasher drives me nuts!
No. The relay on the Mopar Accessories harness is taped to the harness and is in a waterproof casing; It is built into the harness. That is for the park lights anyway....And its a relay. The flasher is in the fuse block in the driver's dash. It should be silver on your truck.

This is an old part number for the heavy duty flasher:

http://dodgeram.org/tech/mods/electric/trailer_wire.htm

Last edited by PurplDodge; 02-04-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Potential new truck? Need opinions.