2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram pre-purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:18 PM
PCPBrad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram pre-purchase questions

Hi all, My name is Brad and I am a long time Dodge/Plymouth guy (had in the past a 340 'Cuda, 318 Dart, 2 Chargers, 2 Neons, Daytona, Shadow....), but now a first time Ram buyer.

I am in the market for a good 4x4 and found a beautiful loaded 1996 Ram 1500 (5.2L auto 4x4 club cab long box) for $1500 with about 280k km on it and a new transmission less than 30k ago. The truck is a one owner, well maintained unit but the older retired man that owns it said the transmission has been slowly losing reverse over the past few months and now won't back up his driveway...Visually this truck is near perfect, doesn't burn or leak oil, body, interior near perfect...but if it requires $3000 (just a guess) in transmission repairs before I even drive it...

My question to the experts, is this truck worth it or should I keep shopping?

I did try the search tool (I have been to other forums where the new guy gets picked on for not searching first then asking a question that has been covered 25 times this week), but considering that every search parameter brings up 10 pages, it is hard to narrow it down to what pertains to my (soon to be) truck.

I admit to being somewhat mechanically inclined, but I defer to the experts where it comes to things I admit to not understand like automatic transmissions...So any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-11-2010, 01:23 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If the rest of the truck is perfect,a rebuild on the tranny should be around 15 hundred. But, since it was only done 30K ago, maybe the problem can be fixed for less.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:27 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

the tranny problem could be as easy as getting the bands adjusted.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:29 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That would effect more than just reverse I'm sure. At least 1st gear.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zman17
That would effect more than just reverse I'm sure. At least 1st gear.
Nope the low/reverse band must be holding for the truck to reverse. It is used in forward gears like 3rd and manual low but in those situations if it is slipping the overrunning clutch holds.

To the OP get the rear band adjusted. The servo could also be cracked or have bad seals which is causing it to bleed off pressure and not hold. These fixes should be fairly inexpensive. Unfortuanly since the previous owner just kept using the truck the rear band could be burnt up and the tranny needs a rebuild.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:25 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd go for it. Trucks that have had only one owner and owned by old retired guys are usually the best. For the low price that he is asking, I'd go for it. And the repair just sounds like the low/reverse band coming out of adjustment. Thats an easy fix (If you have a good torque wrench, or know how to do it w/o one).

Welcome to Dodge Forum!

Old 02-11-2010, 06:07 PM
PCPBrad

Thanks for all the quick responses!

This loose band that was mentioned, is it hard to do? I mean is it something I can do myself without a garage in the middle of Canadian winter? I have a torque wrench and pretty much every sized socket...

I have called 6 different local and distant shops to compare what they are saying and 4 (local privates) flat out quickly told me it was a rebuild or replace to the tune of $2000 to $3000 ($1650 for the reman plus labour), the other 2 (major chains) told me they can't be sure until they physically see the truck but that it could be as little as $200 to over $3000.

A friend dropped in whilst I was making all the phone calls and suggested I pick up a warrantied used one and we could install it in a weekend. I thought it was a good idea so I tried to price out one. I have been told that the 1996 1500 4x4 auto transmission behind a 318 is unique to that year and a '95 or '97 will not work.....and of course, the only ones I could find at the wrecker were either very mileage or over 500 miles away...

Old 02-11-2010, 06:28 PM
zje400ex
Captain

That seems like a good deal for dodge ram 1500 4x4 ext cab with long bed thats in near perfect condition. I did the conversion and since it has 280km on it thats 173,983 miles on it. Thats not bad for $1500.

I'm not sure about the tranny but i'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you if the 96 has a unique tranny behind it

Old 02-11-2010, 06:30 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PCPBrad
Thanks for all the quick responses!

This loose band that was mentioned, is it hard to do? I mean is it something I can do myself without a garage in the middle of Canadian winter? I have a torque wrench and pretty much every sized socket...

I have called 6 different local and distant shops to compare what they are saying and 4 (local privates) flat out quickly told me it was a rebuild or replace to the tune of $2000 to $3000 ($1650 for the reman plus labour), the other 2 (major chains) told me they can't be sure until they physically see the truck but that it could be as little as $200 to over $3000.

A friend dropped in whilst I was making all the phone calls and suggested I pick up a warrantied used one and we could install it in a weekend. I thought it was a good idea so I tried to price out one. I have been told that the 1996 1500 4x4 auto transmission behind a 318 is unique to that year and a '95 or '97 will not work.....and of course, the only ones I could find at the wrecker were either very mileage or over 500 miles away...
The band adjustment involves taking off the transmission pan and adjusting it from the valve body. IDK if I would do it outside, its not that fun of a job indoors!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:10 PM
MrRuckuss
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

of course they are going to tell you $2000-$3000, they are VULTURES and your prey to them, yeah ok might be a little extreme, but heres another thought, did the PO get a warranty with it? might and thats a big MIGHT still be under warranty, i'd find out which garage he took it to they might just look it over and give you better options, but in the long run, if nothing else, if the truck is in excellent condition i'd be all over it like the snow in my yard.

Quick Reply: Ram pre-purchase questions