2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Over Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:16 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Blue-Ram
That is funny, because i am the complete opposite. For example, when i leave school the speed limit on the road is 45. My truck shifts into overdrive somewhere between 45 and 50, so I intentionally break the speed limit and accelerate up to 50 to get my truck into overdrive. I'm just hoping that i can save that little bit of gas. I have been lucky so far, because everyone i know speeds on that road and has gotten a ticket, but not me .
That is a comon misconception that I was under as well for the longest time. At that speed, it isn't about being in overdrive will net you more miles/gallon, it really comes down to the strain on the engine.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I leave mine off almost all the time (especially around town) until I get up over 55-60 mph. Then I turn it on. if i'm in the mountains, I leave it off so it won't keep going in and out of OD.

Quick Reply: Over Drive?