2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Crate Engine + Turbo problems/questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 05:16 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by elementalnature
Go Cummins. Still get the Mopar/Chrysler name, the legendary reliability of the Cummins Engine, and they can easily pop 500+ HP and 750 ft/lb of torque with simple bolt-on parts. Exhaust, air intake, tuners. If you get a P-Pumped you can manually tune the fuel plate and cheaply punch 350-425 horses with an exhaust.

Plus 10000 and your truck and you can easily afford a nice VP44 98-02.5 Ram 2500.
And get that 24 valve mess that really wasn't under control until 04? Pass.
Besides, the diesel game has been over played IMO. Everyone and their brother either wants one really bad or they have one jacked up to the damn sky both unnecessary for their needs, and completely useless to boot. Maybe it's just me, but I would rather do something that you hardly ever see. Honestly, how many 2nd generation rams have you come across that are running boost(gas)? This forum doesn't count, and even if it did, I can think of only 2 that are regulars here.

Besides, I think this truck holds more sentimental value than we give credit for.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Chaddd07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of good news....

The guy who is working on my truck (A co-worker and good friend) found an old 318 at his fathers house that he is going to give me. He said his buddy would rebuild it for $1500 and David (The mechanic) will pull a tranny off a truck in the junk yard and rebuild it for $1000. He told me the best way to get the most power is to get a set of cams, headers, roller rockers (dont know what that is....), and he said he would go with a supercharger (hes old school so he calls it a blower).

Just pitching in my two cents

Chad

Old 02-20-2010, 09:45 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
And get that 24 valve mess that really wasn't under control until 04? Pass.
Besides, the diesel game has been over played IMO. Everyone and their brother either wants one really bad or they have one jacked up to the damn sky both unnecessary for their needs, and completely useless to boot. Maybe it's just me, but I would rather do something that you hardly ever see. Honestly, how many 2nd generation rams have you come across that are running boost(gas)? This forum doesn't count, and even if it did, I can think of only 2 that are regulars here.

Besides, I think this truck holds more sentimental value than we give credit for.
Oh come on, you`re just jealous... Lol jk, but a leveling kit and a body lift will clear 38s (35s if you don`t do the body lift) and completely FREE mods on a 12 valve will give you enough power to snap a D70 pinion shaft and a D60 axle shaft (friend`s truck that I tuned did it sled pulling). Me, personally I love my 2wd, low, light (5600# without stripping it), and fast. I put $500 in bolt ons on my little 94 (which has the smallest of all the p-pumps) and laid down 422/903. A little more money to finish building my bulletproof trans (need a billet input and flexplate, I already have a good tripple disc billet converter and a VB) and I`ll feel safe with adding a nice HT60 holset under my HE451VeTi to use the rest of the fuel that I haven`t tuned in yet to get to my goal of 700+rwhp and 1600+ ft-lbs. Not to mention that even with constantly flogging on it I still get 22mpg and can tow 20k without breaking a sweat.

Seriously though, I do have plans for a boosted 360 in the Intrepid project I`m working on. It`s just that I realize a 500+hp boosted 360 won`t last 500k whereas my Cummins will still be running strong working and playing every day... But that`s just my biased .02

Old 02-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

I know you're joking, but I have my fingers in a couple of diesel projects around here as well. got a 1997 RCSB 2500 CTD, and a 2004 6.0 PS.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:12 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
I know you're joking, but I have my fingers in a couple of diesel projects around here as well. got a 1997 RCSB 2500 CTD, and a 2004 6.0 PS.
Lol see, I`m new and never would have known... But it`s all in good fun anyway. I would imagine the 97 is back-halfed and destined for the strip. The 6no, why??? Lol jk again, there`s a few HEALTHY 6.0s running around. You frequent CompD at all?

Back on track though, I wish we hadn`t gotten rid of my wife`s 96 rcsb 5.2 5spd, I wanted to put something like an HX55 in the passenger side fenderwell and plumb it in with a CAC from a CTD... At about 4k# without stripping it I would imagine it would have RIPPED.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

I've been around the place, but I'm no member. I'm a member on Cummins Forum though.

Our 6.0 isn't built at all. You can go look at it in my garage. Just a basic King Ranch 6.0, but we added a 4.11 gearing, 5 inch side exist exhaust, custom tuning from Edge and Ferguison diesel, AEM intake, and we have the ARP stud kit to keep the heads on when the turbo pitches 30PSI. The old 97 is just a farm rig with nothing done to it except for a dual conversion and a steel flat bed.

I know there are a few good running 6.0s around, but I don't see how they are keeping them together reliably.

Sorry OP, I like to chat a little bit. Blacky, pop me on yahoo or aim if you wanna BS more.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:35 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

lol I would if I could, but I`m cruising my phone at an in-laws wedding... Fact is 95% of my posting is from my phone. Should be getting internet at home sometime soon since I`m heading back to college this fall.

Quick Reply: Crate Engine + Turbo problems/questions