2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bought a Hughes plenum plate, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 12:14 AM
UltraMag50
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a Hughes plenum plate, what next?

I ordered it 2 days ago. The beast is in need of a LOT of work, shes got 127kmi and the shocks are original still I plan on tuning her up at the same time, and because of the mileage want to run Seafoam through my engine. Mind you the suspension is loose, the trait of our trucks, but she still gets 16mpg running I-87 between Red Hook and Lake Placid, a 4 hour trip, driving approximately 75mph. I think the first repairs should be hub assemblies, track bar bushings, and ball joints. It has new front brakes, new 245/75r16's all around, and... i think thats it. What other repairs/replacements would you recommend? i have a total of $350 bucks. I realize its not much, but its too much considering i havent had a job since November, thanks to Oba... I'm not getting started.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Hammer Down
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few suggestions:

Plugs
Wires
Diff fluid
14x3 or CAI
Clean throttle body
Replace O2 sensor
$350 could get you a programmer...

Old 02-21-2010, 12:59 AM
UltraMag50
Professional

lol dont tempt me hammer! i'd love to blow it on a programmer, but a programmer wont help me if a wheel hub goes bad or the timing chain breaks. Thanks for the tips. any other advice? Time isnt an issue, she wont be road worthy until May.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:11 AM
Hammer Down
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol. agreed. Take care of the mechanical essentials first. Timing chain and water pump are good ideas too. I hadn't thought of those. They're relatively cheap too.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain

Well if you have to take the Kegger off to install the plate, why not do the Kegger Mod while its off? Its easy and cheap. A few hours with a dremel or saws-all and file. Also you'll need to replace the pre cat O2 sensor after replacing the plate. And make sure you have all the gaskets you need. Other than that, if the issue is money not time, a complete tune up, timing chain and water pump as mentioned previously.

Quick Reply: Bought a Hughes plenum plate, what next?