2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck died this morning!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:00 PM
gnome
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This actually happened to me last year. I just couldn't keep it running...I check the fuel pressure to the fuel rail...I knew it wasn't the fuel pump because I replaced that two months prior. A friend told me to check the cat...and sure enough...that's exactly what it was...a huge piece had blocked up the pipe.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:01 PM
joe_yoh

Damn that sucks. check the fuel pressure man.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:58 PM
atfrith

Well, I started it up and it was acting fine and actually drove it into work and it acted perfectly normal. I'm still hoping its the cat, but my mechanic (who is actually a friend, and i trust) seems to think more towards the fuel pump, quoted me like 500 bucks, do NOT want to spend that....how hard is it to drop the tank, etc? I knocked on the cat, didn't hear any type of clinging but will try again after work, and that ive noticed it hasnt turned cherry red or anything else indicatings its clogged. Seems as though the truck is either running perfect, or running like ***.
I don't have a fuel pressure tester at the moment, but i was getting antsy at work and just went out and turned the truck on, found the test port and pushed a screwdriver down on the nozzle and gas came out at a decent rate, so it seems as though i have good pressure, but then again i don't know how much pressure to expect.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd have to put a pressure gauge on it and watch it when it starts to act up.

It's a bit of a pain to drop the tank and replace the pump but it is doable. You'll spend $300 on the pump alone so decide if it's worth that extra for your 'friend' to do it for you.

And just cause it isn't red or doesn't rattle when you knock on it doesn't mean it is still good. Mine was bad and didn't do either.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 PM
FFFD827
Professional

Can someone let me in on this non fouler tirck? i gutted my cat and put a flowmaster 40 behind it but my light is on now

Old 02-23-2010, 12:28 PM
gnome
Amateur

Dropping the tank is a pain in the ***. What I did when I replaced my fuel pump was change it from the top. I didn't take the bed all the way off mind you...I left the two screws towards the back in...just unloosened quite a bit. You are going to need two people...one to lift it, while the other chalks it with 2x4's. It's alot easier to do, (in my opinion), than dropping the tank.
Also, if you wanted to do a quick check on it, carry a rubber hammer with you. When it starts to run rough, pull over, shut engine off and whack the gas tank with the rubber hammer. That is actually how I found out what my problem was when the garage I used to take it to couldn't figure out the problem.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Weldor
Veteran

Originally Posted by FFFD827
Can someone let me in on this non fouler tirck? i gutted my cat and put a flowmaster 40 behind it but my light is on now
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ving-cats.html

Old 02-23-2010, 02:11 PM
atfrith

Didn't have time last night to really check anything else out, but it drove home perfectly fine. But it had a hard time starting up this morning (cold out too, 10 degrees this morning i think), it acted like it wanted to start but just wouldnt "catch", finally it did and ran fine all the way to work. I'll clerify that there isnt any "Acting up" so to speak, it will just stop running when it decides to do its thing, or it wont start, doesnt run sluggish or anything to that effect, it'll just die. I'm going to try and clean out the throttle body today as well as clean the various sensors around it.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Weldor
Veteran

If its having a hard time starting in the cold it may need a new battery. 10 isn't that cold its gets to -40 here all the time and I don't have problems with a cold start. The problem dosn't sound mechincal it sounds like an electronic issue. Go get the battery and charging system tested, I would put my money on that being the problem.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:26 PM
atfrith

Yeah with the symtoms only showing in the mornings or when it's semi cold im starting to think its the battery or electronics as well. And you are right, 10 isnt that cold, it was starting fine earlier in the winter with subzero temps. The battery is relatively new but i may as well have it tested while im at the auto parts store this evening.

Quick Reply: truck died this morning!!