2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PLenum gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:47 PM
cam01ss
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLenum gasket

whats up guys? listen im new to the forum and i have a couple of questions about the whole plenum gasket issue. besides poor gas mileage and lack of power what else would be symptoms or tell tale signs that the plenum has been changed? i have had the truck for nine years now it has 108000 on it. i dont think its ever been changed i am the second owner. my friends own a mechanic shop and i just wanna be able to prove to him that this is the issue. the only symptoms i have are poor gas mileage( i have a 3 inch lift with 33's) and im wondering if that would be the reason for my mileage i know it has a little effect but i clocked my milage i only get 8 mpg city and 9 highway. also my idle is a little rough i have had my truck motor vacked and it helped a little but i really have ahunch and it might be this but before i pull the intake on a weekend i wanna make sure its this. also the deathflash i definately have it im looking into a superchip programmer so from what i hear this will correct it.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

an easy way to tell if your plenum's blown is to take off the airbox and look down through the throttle body. If there's a lot of old oil and gunk, its bad.

My math isn't great, but its 2010 and you've had that 01 for 9 years? The previous owner mustn't have had it long. I doubt the gasket has been changed by him, it wouldn't have been an issue that early I wouldn't think...

Old 02-23-2010, 12:56 PM
xray99
Banned

From what I understand, abnormal oil consumption is one of the main signs of a fried plenum.
Take off the breather, shine a light down there and have a gander, if its gunked up chances are its shot.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This gets covered every week so a search would tell you everthing you ever wanted to know about it.

Look down the intake through the TB. If there i oil or carbon in there the plenum gasket is bad.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:56 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you done a tuneup lately, you might want to look into doing that

Old 02-23-2010, 03:18 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to fix your plenum before you get a Superchips. Otherwise it will ping like a mother****er.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:00 AM
cam01ss
Amateur

i got the truck in may of 2001 so i almost own it nine years the guy before me only had it for a couple of months. the truck only had i think 6 to 9000k on it. also i have done a full tuneup. also recently changed my fuel pump so i know i have no fuel issues. the only thing i have going on intermittently is an evap leak which is pissing me off cause im having trouble finding it? ive replaced cracked hoses and i have a faint odor so its inevitable im gonna have to drop the tank. about 5 months ago i purchased a hypertech max energy programmer and i thought it was gonna be great and yeah throttle response was better but it PINGED LIKE A ****. also didnt recalibrate my speedo for the 33's right now my speedo is off 10mph the programmer knocked it down to 7 so to me it wasnt worth it especially since it was like 345.00. i dont mind paying if im gonna get results. also sorry for starting a new thread for this since this has been coered before just didnt find the answers im looking for. the only symptoms i have is the poor mpg and the pinging with the programmer just wanna make sure so ill pull the airbox and look into the throttle at lunch today. thanks for all your help guys

Old 02-24-2010, 07:19 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
You need to fix your plenum before you get a Superchips. Otherwise it will ping like a mother****er.
+1 on ping like a mother****er. mine did.
i was able to quiet the ping by using high octane gas, but that adds up $ fast.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
+1 on ping like a mother****er. mine did.
i was able to quiet the ping by using high octane gas, but that adds up $ fast.
Aren't you the one that said, if you have a blown plenum gasket and install a superchips programmer, then the spark knock will shame you into changing that gasket?

Old 02-24-2010, 11:21 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

just change the plenum with the Hughes Engines Kit....its a very straight forward job, not complicated. You can do it yourself in about 7-10 hours.......maybe sooner, but i took a long time to clean things thats why i took that long. Only special tool you need is a fuel line disconnect. Just keep things organized, and make sure everything is clean...this job is a breeze IMO, but i work on cars for a living....Its really not hard, dont let people scare you....the kit for it is only 86 bucks +shipping

Quick Reply: PLenum gasket