2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pcm??????????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:55 PM
halfamil
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tinkerinman
Where can I buy a new PCM for my truck??? And should I go OEM or after market????
If you didn't think it was the Pcm, why are you looking for a place to buy one.

I didnt think it was the PCM... I know things dont last forever. been working on cars and trucks for 12 years.... built my first one at 13. complete overhaul. but it was a chevy.... dodge is a bit different... im checkin all my connections and wiring today for the alt. and gna have battery tested too... ill see what comes up.
I was just trying to help you.I could care less about, what you know, or history of working on trucks. If it's not charging 14 or 15, the alt. or battery is bad.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:58 PM
tinkerinman
Professional

im already on top of that.... battery had a bad cell and alt is only putting out 12.29 volts.... and voltage reg. is bad. so yes. i must replace the PCM or bypass it with an inline one..

Old 02-25-2010, 02:01 PM
tinkerinman
Professional

And yes XRAY99 i read your post. i found a PCM for $50. Freakn kool! better than 200... my just bypass until i can get the PCM your post out the bypass was actually very informative. and seems pretty easy. just have to locate the correct blue and green wires.... assuming they arent the only ones....

Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 PM
tinkerinman
Professional

and i was going to replace the PCM simply bc of the milage. 290K miles isnt low.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:07 PM
halfamil
All Star

You do what you must........but, I'll bet a beer and a shot that it doesen't help!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:09 PM
halfamil
All Star

and i was going to replace the PCM simply bc of the milage. 290K miles isnt low.
448k on mine.........still works fine.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:13 PM
tinkerinman
Professional

every truck is different. drivin conditons as well as weather conditions.... can play a major role in parts malfunctioning or going out... thanks for your 2 cents tho halfamil! ill be glad to take that beer and shot! haha!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:31 PM
halfamil
All Star

every truck is different. drivin conditons as well as weather conditions
I agree 100%.........and ol' halfamil has been thru them all in those 448,317 miles!!!

Old 02-25-2010, 03:37 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by USAF90
autocomputerexchange.com

go there and you can send in yours to get rebuilt, or, buy a remanufactured one (which is faster, so ive heard). come with a warranty and all.

some one else will have to chime in on aftermarket brands
How about never go though that company. I recieved one DOA pcm that wouldn't start my truck. Had them send a replacement which came defective as well (threw a p0601) for an internal pcm checksum error. Not to mention the run around the company gave me, I even paid extra to have the pcm by the weekend and they shipped it too late. Nothing but bad experience with the company and will never recommend. I got a rebuild from a local autoparts store that sold remanufactured pcms by cardone. Been going strong ever since.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:28 PM
tinkerinman
Professional

well..... first off.....

Battery had a bad cell. so i bought a new.... come to find out... the one they gave me last year wasnt even the right battery for my truck!!! hmm... well... diagd after started with new battery... voltage regulator bad... got an external for an older dodge. and got a connector for it as well... Alt is only putting out just under 12 volts to the batery.... crappy thing! new one on order bc i wanted the big one... voltage regulator bypass is gna be installed tmrw and hoping the alt too... i drove three blocks today and volts went from 12ish to 0 before i got that far. and if i didnt have a short b4... which i dont think i did bc all this stuff craps out at once... i do now. bc i broke my battery cable clamp.... yeah! but tmrw is a new day and ill post updates then... gna get some good pictures to add on here of where and how i mount my external voltage relay.. HALFAMIL!!!! you wana give me those drink now???? or after im done??? haha!