2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Its back.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Its back.......

Well, as some of you remember a month or so ago my truck would randomly die when cold. So I replaced my IAC. Well today I started it up like normal and head down the road, I let off the gas for a corner(25-30mph on gravel), and it shut down just like someone turned the key off. I stopped and started it up(doesn't crank more than normal, turns over like once if that and its running perfect). I revved it a couple times to around 2500rpm and the let off, and its immediately died. It did that a few time and once it got warmed up ran fine. I punched it from 60-80mph and it ran like a champ. Yet I jammed my brakes for and idiot driver and it almost stalled out. So any ideas here? No codes. No rough running, no hard starts, 10-12 mpg, only seems to do it when cold and has only done it once or so before. Has all normal power, new plugs, plug wires look good and don't arc. Has a new IAC, TPS is in good condition, had fuel. Still has all electrical power when it shuts off. Idles perfect when its warm, and even when its cold. (this morning wasn't cold really at 29. lol cause cold is like -30 here...) So I am looking for ideas on what the hell could be going on here. Coolant temp sensor? Coil? O2 sensor? MAP? Mass air flow sensor? tranny???(shifts good, no slipping, fluid is good...) Air cleaner is clean...

Josh

Old 02-25-2010, 10:57 PM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like it could be a the tranny not downshifting fast enough and it might be trying to stall the engine out. my 1st gen did that and i just bought a new tranny because i didn feel like messing with it, the dealership said it could have been a clogged TC or possibly the valves in the tranny were sticking

Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

You didn't just say tranny did you? I am reading that wrong right? Causeee I can't afford that haha. I doubt its the tranny though cause its only when I first start it when cold. and it did it even in park.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:16 PM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran

Fuel pump?

Mines going out and occasionally acts funny.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 PM
yakkier
Banned

just keep an eye on it

Originally Posted by offroadjosh
You didn't just say tranny did you? I am reading that wrong right? Causeee I can't afford that haha. I doubt its the tranny though cause its only when I first start it when cold. and it did it even in park.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:30 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

new IAC probably gave out. if it came from autozone or advance or other place with warranty take it back and exchange it. tell em it quit working, no if's and's or but's.

they won't give you your money back but if your tell em it was working fine and just quit, they'll exchange it.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:42 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

I will take the IAC back tmrw. Funny thing is... it died in the EXACT same spot as last time lol. Like literally with in 2-3ft of the same spot...

Old 02-25-2010, 11:45 PM
yakkier
Banned

well dont go that way next time an you will be fine.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:02 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

Haha, I will just drive through our field and the neighbors they won't mind=P

Old 02-26-2010, 12:03 AM
yakkier
Banned

if you dont freaking sink with that 10ton bumper of yours

Quick Reply: Its back.......