2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

50mm Throttle Body on eBay...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 07:57 PM
BigGRam
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To Bwdakrt As I just found this and haven't checked out the tb's on ebay I was wondering how often you make something like a quad barrel tb to replace a twin barrel. I'm not sure what size my tb is but everything on my engine is stock, I have an 01 1500 with the 5.2 and its a extended cab with suicide doors and a 6' bed if that matters. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Salex007
Captain

he doesnt do quad throttle bodies, and those throttle bodies are pretty expensive and requires you to modify the linkage system to have it work properly

Old 12-23-2010, 08:44 PM
BigGRam
Amateur

Oh okay thanks, a 50 mm is the largest he makes right? Does anyone know what size the stock tb is if it is a 50 mm or not?

Old 12-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Salex007
Captain

stock throttle body opening is 50mm but goes down to a 47 or 48, most people bore out the rest to make 50mm all the way. Over 50 and you will need new blades

Old 12-24-2010, 02:57 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

does anyone know if bwdakrt is still offering the 50mm tb for $100?
i dont know how i didnt see this thread a couple months ago!
i checked his ebay items for sell and all he has now are instructions for modifying your tb for $15
i already know how to do it but am willing to pay for not having the patience to do it!

Old 12-24-2010, 05:46 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry guys but I no longer modify TBs due to this damn arthritis in my hands. I have been working with a guy in WI for the past several months on how to modify TBs the same way I did and he's doing one hell of a good job. I highly recommend his work and he has some real good prices. He's offering the V8 TBs in the full flow 50mm and also 52mm. You can reach him at brianwhiteley1974@yahoo.com and his name is Brian. Tell him Dwight sent you and he'll get you fixed up for sure.

EDIT: I've contacted Brian via email so he should be chiming in within the next day or so and then you guys can PM him for the info, pics and prices on his modified TBs. He's very good at what he does and has some real good prices.

Last edited by bwdakrt; 12-24-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:34 AM
1999blkdakrt
Professional

I can answer any questions regarding throttle bodies. I seem to know my way around them pretty well.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:47 AM
4085spd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigGRam
Oh okay thanks, a 50 mm is the largest he makes right? Does anyone know what size the stock tb is if it is a 50 mm or not?
Above the blades its 48mm. Below it opens up to 50mm. The 48 above is for throttle tip in. Meaning its less sensitive in stock form, more pedal to move. Removing this top step above the blades give faster tip in when throttle is applied. Less pedal to move. POLISHING does nothing IMO. Better off filling in the IAC port as theres alot of turbulance above the opening. Small hole drilled to breath through for idle (IAC).

Old 10-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Bought one of the 52mm ebay throttle bodies off DF member 1999blkdakrt a while back and finally had time to install and get an impression. IIRC it was around a $130 shipped.

As far as I could see the workmanship is top notch. It comes with all the new hardware needed for an install. There were no glaring gaps between the butterflies and throttle body wall. I was all clean and polished up when I pulled it out of the box.

It bolted up easily and fired up first try as if nothing were different. No funky idle issues or anything else negative to report that I've encountered thus far.

I was worried about losing low end. I may have but for me it wasn't noticeable so it's really a don't care.

What it did do is make it a little happier revving up high. From around 3500-4500RPM I did notice a bit of a boost. I wont say it was huge but definitely noticeable. It seemed to add about the same type and magnitude of performance a set of well matched shorty headers might gain you if done by themselves. Maybe 5-10 hp max probably depends on what other supporting mods have been done prior.

The functionality of the added performance actually seems quite a bit more useful for me than it might sound since it didn't noticeably rob from low end but broadened the high RPM range a tad. The net result is a broader more usable range of RPM's one can drive within. One of the things I have been slightly disappointed with in this truck is its lack of ability ability to rev it out satisfyingly. With this and the other mods I've done it isn't a high rpm drag strip screamer or anything but it is definitely becoming more usable in the upper RPM range.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as a first mod but it is cheap and easy to do so I wouldn't necessarily discourage it either.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:26 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugly1
Bought one of the 52mm ebay throttle bodies off DF member 1999blkdakrt a while back and finally had time to install and get an impression. IIRC it was around a $130 shipped.

As far as I could see the workmanship is top notch. It comes with all the new hardware needed for an install. There were no glaring gaps between the butterflies and throttle body wall. I was all clean and polished up when I pulled it out of the box.

It bolted up easily and fired up first try as if nothing were different. No funky idle issues or anything else negative to report that I've encountered thus far.

I was worried about losing low end. I may have but for me it wasn't noticeable so it's really a don't care.

What it did do is make it a little happier revving up high. From around 3500-4500RPM I did notice a bit of a boost. I wont say it was huge but definitely noticeable. It seemed to add about the same type and magnitude of performance a set of well matched shorty headers might gain you if done by themselves. Maybe 5-10 hp max probably depends on what other supporting mods have been done prior.

The functionality of the added performance actually seems quite a bit more useful for me than it might sound since it didn't noticeably rob from low end but broadened the high RPM range a tad. The net result is a broader more usable range of RPM's one can drive within. One of the things I have been slightly disappointed with in this truck is its lack of ability ability to rev it out satisfyingly. With this and the other mods I've done it isn't a high rpm drag strip screamer or anything but it is definitely becoming more usable in the upper RPM range.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as a first mod but it is cheap and easy to do so I wouldn't necessarily discourage it either.

Wow. Dug up old thread! I have looked into fastmand, but was not sure that is where I wanted to spend money at this time. Glad it worked well for you. I did pick up a stock TB for a 5.2l and polished it and was plannig to install whenI get around to installing the modified kegger that is sittin on the bench (too many projects keep popping up). Is he still selling them? The links posted are not valid any longer.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 50mm Throttle Body on eBay...