2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

i need some advice from my friends.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dammit yak, that's a hard choice to make.... Like others have said, job security is a big thing these days. but on the other hand, if its a dream job to you, you may be happier there....

Trust me, I know alllll about dream jobs. I had one, CNC machinist making Class 1 nuclear components for CANDU reactors. We made the fuel channels that actually load the uranium into the reactor, so there was zero room for error, unless we wanted to turn southern NB into a big smoking crater. we were 1 of only 2 companies in Canada that did this work. I was one of the 5 original workers there, I worked my *** off at their sister company to get into the nuclear company. Sweet *** job it was, it was easy work, but mentally challenging, and paid gooood. We finished our first contract for our local nuclear plant, Pt. Lepreau, and had started into another contract for a plant in Wolsong, Korea. It was at that time that the powers that be, AECL(Atomic Energy of Canada Limited), decided for whatever reason to pull the plug on us.... boom, 100 good employees outta work like that. I first heard about the closure through a text from a friend there. The company took it to court and we fought hard to save the place, but the money just wasn't there anymore.... I still miss the place

My point is, a dream job is of course the best case scenario for working, but job security is verrrry important these days.

Precision Nuclear Inc. and Precision Metal Works were the companies, google it

Old 03-02-2010, 05:25 PM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn lol that sounds like a damn good job man sorry it happend to you. But i am slowly leaning toward's the partnership, i called and talked to my dad and basicly what he said about dream jobs is just as it sounds, A dream. He said in his exact words are " You're young enough now that you need to work toward a secure and honest future for you and your family, dont make the same mistake most people in this country are making and settling for what you want vs what you and your family actually need" my father has seen both recession's and he's busted his *** to make his company what it is. im going to kinda force my wife to help me make the decision because i dont want to be the one who makes the final decision on this choice cause it will affect both of us dramaticly.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:17 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude I agree with you're father, Dream jobs are usually just that.
It's also tough in this economy.
The way me and the wifey look at stuff now.... want's are not needs so look at what you need and not so much what you want, if that makes sense.

If it were me I would go with the safe (secure) choice right now, I don't think we are gonna rebound from this economic downturn like the rest of the world thinks.

But My advice usually sucks,LOL

Old 03-02-2010, 06:53 PM
yakkier
Banned

im prob going to go with my old company, the job security is a lil hard to turn down.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 PM
seabass202
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stay with your old company. I could type for hours why. PM me if needed

Last edited by seabass202; 03-02-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 PM
torp74
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NEVER do business with friends. Odds are that if you do the friendship won't last long. That's from life experience.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:22 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

which one has higher long term earning potential ?

your first post referred to a being offered a partnership. as a "partner" do you qualify for profit sharing, or bonuses ? also, if that small company was bought out by a bigger fish, would you share in the sale profits.

as someone said above, you generally make (or break) on a much bigger scale as an owner than you do as an employee.

second question is health insurance. with a family, i always thought that was a must have. so if thats offered as an employee with direct, vs having to buy it entirely on your own, that might be an big expense/benefit to consider.

third question is location/moving expenses. is either job in a place you don't want to live. try to be flexible with this. a long time ago i found that i liked living in a couple of places that i never dreamed i'd ever even visit, much less live.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 03-02-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:29 PM
yakkier
Banned

Ok so it would be a full partner ship, i would have as much right's as the original owners do. including the same paycheck, As far as the health insurance i actually have health insurance through my wife's job. She has awesome benefits through children's hospital of minneapolis, I had to have insurance to keep my last job because they didnt offer benefit's.

As for are earning potential i would be making 200 bucks more a month on average with the partnership than i would installing directly for directtv.

Quick Reply: i need some advice from my friends.