2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

i need some advice from my friends.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 03:56 PM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need some advice from my friends.

Alright, i was going to post this in the offtopic section but i'd like for most to see it and very few look in the offtopic section. So if the mod's must they can move it but for now im posting it here.

Now down to the whole reason for the thread.

Iv been offerd a partnership in a company i worked for along time ago, i have always been great friends with the two owners of the company and they are in need of an extra hand in running the company because they both are in the field installing and they cant manage both the company and the installs that are being done. Now also i was offered a job from a company i have wanted to work for for a very LONG time and they both pay roughly around the same.

Now i love the fact i will have no overhead working with my old company and i will have way more job security but on the other hand i still have my dream job staring me in the face.

i have till sat to give both of them an answer and im extremely torn, my wife basicly said whatever i think is best for our family because im the one who always makes the final decision's in our family.

So i need honest opinion's from the guy's who have family's and know what it's like to have to support them and make a decision such as this.

Please no flaming or such.

Last edited by yakkier; 03-02-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:04 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

Thats a hard one, can you get along with your old friends? How does the future look working with them?, you know what i mean kinda like working with family? I think i might give my dream job a shot and if it doesnt work out maybe your old friends could pick ya up then hmmm your wife is right do what you think is best.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:10 PM
mrcribbs

To be honest we would need to know what field(s) these jobs are in to make a fair assessment.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:10 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed with the above, but... Job security is really good right now.

Josh

Old 03-02-2010, 04:12 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star

you do tv cable stuff if i recall right? i would take the dream job in a heartbeat, everything will work out, it always does, everything happens for a reason

Old 03-02-2010, 04:13 PM
yakkier
Banned

Yes and No about the family thing, they'er like 2nd fathers to me both of them but we also have a strong business relationship, when we're at work it's strickly work and such. It's not so much them that makes my decision so hard it's their company. I was a directtv installer for them for 3 years and i grew extremely attached to their company. So attached i sunk 20grand of my own money into it so we could get our retail license. But when the economy went tank they lost their contact with directtv. But it's different now though because they dont have to have a contact because they'er actually a HSP " Home service provider " for directtv and not considerd sub contractor's any more.

But my dream job is actually working inhouse for directtv, as one of their own installers and there is only 10k of them in the whole country. that may sound like a large number to some but the estimated number of contractor's are over 100k. there is alot of respect that comes with being an actual direct tv rep and iv worked my *** off for that position but i also want to go back to my old company because i kinda feel like i have unfinished business there because it was so hard to leave it.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Skab
Rookie

I will say 2 things:
1. You'll rarely get rich working for someone else, at least legaly.
2. You'll make more money in management, if you can take the stress and your job satisfaction can be spread over more areas.

Personaly with what I've seen in the forums your actually in the rare position of being able to move into being a bussiness owner without having to give up a job and wonder what happens when you find out you hate the people you work with. Your enjoyment of your job were you spend 25%? of your life realy makes all the difference in the long run.
Tough decision, good luck either way.

Last edited by Skab; 03-02-2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: did'nt finish.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's see if I got this correct:

Dream job=being just another face in a huge company that won't give 2 ***** about you if it comes time to lay people off, or

Other job=working with and for people you know and respect who think highly of you.

Guess my choice would come down to the one with more job security, even if I had to take a little less money for it to start. Things in the job market are really bad right now and job security is a giant factor.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

I think like this:

If you choose one, and it doesn't turn out to be what you wanted; what would the other company do? Would they take you back or would they tell you to move along?

See what I'm saying?

Old 03-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Directtv sucks! I would never deal with such a crap company.

I'm just screwing with ya, I have Directtv.
That's a tough one, it might just come down to flipping a coin.

I can only offer two things to think about:
Your friends have a small company and if Directtv decided that they didn't like your friends prices or found someone cheaper they could drop them and y'all would be looking for work. or if the number of installs in your area dropped a good bit then you would be bringing in less money.

Then with Directtv, if they hit some slow times, they wouldn't think twice about laying off the new guys.

good luck with the decision.

Quick Reply: i need some advice from my friends.