2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fixed my no start issue on my 98 ram.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:24 PM
JC316
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed my no start issue on my 98 ram.

Ok, my other thread went to hell in a hand basket and got locked, so I couldn't post the result in it. A moderator told me to just make a new thread with the result. It wound up being a bad computer that was causing not to start. Put a re-manufactured one in and it fired right up. Took it to a shop and they programed the the VIN, gear ratio and mileage for $47. So the OP from that thread:

The transmission went out in my dads 98 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd 5.9L truck and he changed the tranny out with one out of a 99. It wouldn't start and we realized that we crushed the wire going to the crankshaft position sensor. Before that though, I pulled the ignition 2 fuse and my dad accidentally put it in a spare slot. Changed that out and the truck fired right up. He drove it over 100 miles without an issue, then he was going to work and it flat died going down the road. Refused to start at all.

I checked the codes and came up with P0122 and P0505. TPS and the IAC. Changed both of those out and still nothing. Now it still refuses to start and we have no voltage to the crankshaft position sensor, the camshaft position sensor, the fuel injectors, or the coil. Thinking that it's the auto shutdown relay, but we can't figure out what would be causing it to malfunction. Also, this truck is equipped with the anti theft system.

Now my questions are, is there something in the transmission that would **** off the auto shutdown relay or the anti theft system? Can yall think of anything?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:27 PM
yakkier
Banned

I told ya it was the PCM but noooooooo no one listens to yakk

Old 03-02-2010, 11:39 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

sometimes we think yak is still working on that pound of hash, lol j/k

Old 03-02-2010, 11:45 PM
yakkier
Banned

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Old 03-03-2010, 01:51 AM
JC316

Originally Posted by yakkier
I told ya it was the PCM but noooooooo no one listens to yakk
That you did, but still, better to exhaust all other options before replacing a $350 part.

Quick Reply: Fixed my no start issue on my 98 ram.