2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Has anyone tried these?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010 | 12:31 AM
ramminit99
|
Rookie
Default Has anyone tried these?

I was thinking about getting these lower control arms for my Ram.

I have a suspicion that the "thump" noise/feeling from under the driver's side floorboard may be the stock control arm bushing giving out due to the extra stress that the 2" leveling kit caused. They are slightly more expensive than just the poly bushings I have seen, and the fact that they are slightly longer doesn't hurt either. I'm going to wait for sure until after my new shocks come in to see if they help the issue first. But any experiences? Thoughts? Thanks!

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...item43978cf6ca

Old 03-04-2010 | 02:19 AM
Ram_Me
Captain

Click here and see if that thump is this or not. It most likely is.

Old 03-04-2010 | 02:43 AM
dakotas ram
Champion

also check that shock is tight

Old 03-05-2010 | 12:01 AM
ramminit99
|
Rookie

Click here and see if that thump is this or not. It most likely is.
Would this be felt under the floorboards? It's like it's right under the steering wheel, where my left foot seems to rest... Is there anyway to tell if I would benefit from this? I have looked into it before a little.

also check that shock is tight
I cranked it down pretty good when re-installing them while doing my leveling kit, but when my new shocks finally arrive I'll make sure I crank 'em down tight and see if that alleviates it.

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-05-2010 | 02:50 AM
dakotas ram
Champion

yeah, ive heard that the front shocks really need impacted on or you can feel it under your floorboard like ur describing

Old 04-23-2011 | 08:08 PM
RamSteeringFix Guy
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ramminit99
Would this be felt under the floorboards? It's like it's right under the steering wheel, where my left foot seems to rest... Is there anyway to tell if I would benefit from this? I have looked into it before a little......

Thanks for the help!
Ramminit99:

Yes, to answer your question, the bad lower steering column OEM bearing can create a 'floorboard' thump that is felt in the pedal area.

If you look carefully, you can see that the lower end of the column slips thru the 'toe plate' which is bolted directly to the floorboard, adjacent to the pedals. It's close proximity allows this.

When the column lower bearing gets worn / loose enough, the inner shaft thumps side to side within the column outer shell, and can be heard very distinctly - and also, felt in the pedal / floorboard area, too, as you've described.

The link already provided by 'Ram Me; goes to the page that shows the Ram truck column upgrade / rebuild approach we've developed.

I was told by admins here on Dodgeforum.com to answer questions directly posed by members about this common Ram truck steering problem & our effective solution, thus providing a helpful service, while refraining from overt promotion.

It's in that spirit that I address your question.

Take Care, David Alan / RamSteeringFix Guy

Last edited by RamSteeringFix Guy; 04-23-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-23-2011 | 08:17 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

a thump or rattle under your foot is the lower shock bolt not tight enough. needs to be about 105 foot pounds, which is either "impact tight" or "long pull bar".

Old 04-24-2011 | 05:25 AM
DirtRider1357
Amateur

i had a thumping in the same place and it turned out to be the plastic wheel well was loose and rattling around.