2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overhaulin' My RAM over the next few weeks

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010 | 07:23 PM
95RAM360
|
Grand Champion

ll i run into a snag everytime i do something to a vehicle, whether it be really small as in loose a bolt, or something big...but everytime i do something i run into a snag lol

Old 03-10-2010 | 09:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

nice pics. what holds in passenger side inner axle in place? anything?

on the passenger side seal, is it possible to put a rod through axle tube from the pumpkin and beat on it with a hammer? or is the pinion gear in the way?

Old 03-10-2010 | 10:17 PM
calgaryman
Rookie

I just took my carrier out less then a hour ago. I literally had it out in 2 minutes, without so much as a bead of sweat! This is what I did. (wish i took some pictures)

I have a small come-along. i put a small loop of rope around the carrier, Then hooked one end of the come along to the rope, and the other end to the frame on the front bumper. two seconds later it popped out. it was just that simple.

Old 03-11-2010 | 06:43 AM
95RAM360
|
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
nice pics. what holds in passenger side inner axle in place? anything?

on the passenger side seal, is it possible to put a rod through axle tube from the pumpkin and beat on it with a hammer? or is the pinion gear in the way?

Just the 4x4 actuator has to come out...(And the other shaft obviously) but mine slid right out...

And i never tried the pumpkin thing, for i put the carrier back in before i put in the pass. seal...but yes you shouldnt have a problem doing that

Also i took it fo a nice ride last night, parked it, and this morning my axle tube are completly dry!!! which means i didnt damage the seals when putting the shafts through.....but what im mostly happy about is the fact that it doesnt hop when turning anymore

Last edited by 95RAM360; 03-11-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-11-2010 | 07:03 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by calgaryman
I just took my carrier out less then a hour ago. I literally had it out in 2 minutes, without so much as a bead of sweat! This is what I did. (wish i took some pictures)

I have a small come-along. i put a small loop of rope around the carrier, Then hooked one end of the come along to the rope, and the other end to the frame on the front bumper. two seconds later it popped out. it was just that simple.
It's nice to see someone else using the come along method, that makes it pretty easy. You just have to be careful not to drop the carrier on the ground when it lets loose (have a buddy crank the come along for ya while you lay under there as a catcher). My come along is a little too big to hook to the bumper, but a hitch on another truck or a tree work just as good if you have one that is too big.
Originally Posted by 95RAM360
Just the 4x4 actuator has to come out...(And the other shaft obviously) but mine slid right out...

And i never tried the pumpkin thing, for i put the carrier back in before i put in the pass. seal...but yes you shouldnt have a problem doing that

Also i took it fo a nice ride last night, parked it, and this morning my axle tube are completly dry!!! which means i didnt damage the seals when putting the shafts through.....but what im mostly happy about is the fact that it doesnt hop when turning anymore
Did you take a good look at the old seal compared to the new one? When I changed mine I notice that the contact point on the rubber of the old seal was kind of flat and the new seal had a sharp edge on it.

Old 03-11-2010 | 07:44 AM
95RAM360
|
Grand Champion

yes i noticed that as well...i have pics of new ones/old ones in this thread...you can def. tell mine were bad

Old 03-11-2010 | 09:29 AM
95RAM360
|
Grand Champion

NEED SOME ADVICE

I have a rubbery sound again when braking. Its coming from the pass. front. Its a bit louder than before, which leads me to believe warped rotor? Because i have new pads on it. It sounds like rubber on rubber, no metal sounds. and it IS with braking. when i release brakes it stops. and it only does it at 20 mph or lower, and when i get slower, the sound slows down. its not consistant, it sounds like on rotation theres a spot thats hitting something...its hard to explain. any advice would be great

Quick Reply: Overhaulin' My RAM over the next few weeks