2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Ram guy here, just got a few questions please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010 | 02:43 PM
98formulaLS1
|
Professional
Default New Ram guy here, just got a few questions please...

So I just picked up a 1996 Ram 1500 5.2L Auto w/ 99k miles from an elderly man. It's got a few problems, which I'm working toward fixing. Before that I just need to get a few questions answered.

1. What are so low priced alternatives to getting the truck repainted? I've considered bed lining it, I did it to my Jeep Wrangler, much less liner though. Or, I've considered doing a Rustoleum Enamal rattle can job. I just don't want it to look crappy, thats all. All opinions and suggestions are welcome, I'm a forum guy, so I don't get all butthurt about things.

2. I've downloaded the service manual for the 2001 model from the FAQ (Thanks btw!!!), but what are the differences between the 01 and the 96 models? Also, which transmission do I have? I'm referring to the actual name of it please.

3. I've read about some online company selling a body lift w/ shocks for $200, I can't find where though. Is this true? That would be perfect, because it has the original shocks (which need replacement) and I do want to put a small body lift on it (the body life will not be any larger than 2").

Thanks in advance fellas!

Old 03-05-2010 | 02:50 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker

Welcome aboard!

Rattle can in the bed, dont waste your time

01 service manual your welcome (dwnld is from my site)
Ive used that manual for years, fairly accurate on a 96 except for interior & some wiring as well as brake calipers are different. Theres probably couple other things Ive forgot. At 2800pgs its alot more detail than any Chiltons or Haynes manual.

Someone else will chime in on the lifts, Im a lowered kinda guy (V10 sits hi but all factory)

Last edited by RM_Indy; 03-05-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-05-2010 | 04:34 PM
yakkier
Banned

Here is the 01 service manual that indy was talking about, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...tmas-guys.html this is something you're going to want, it's actually the same manual dodge issues to their service techs at the dealers.

Also here is a link to a thread about a roll on bed liner that one of the guys did on here, you could PM him and get more information about it.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...liner-diy.html

Also as far as the lift goes, you have many many options, such as body lift's suspenion lift's and so on an so forth. I would use our search feature on the forum here and look up some ideas. Also run a search for our plenum gasket issue, if you have a ram that is 1994-2001 then chances are you have a bad plenum gasket unless it has already been fixed.

Welcome to DF and enjoy your stay, dont forget to fill out your profile information and the stats on your truck.

Old 03-05-2010 | 08:16 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by 98formulaLS1
1. What are so low priced alternatives to getting the truck repainted? I've considered bed lining it, I did it to my Jeep Wrangler, much less liner though. Or, I've considered doing a Rustoleum Enamal rattle can job. I just don't want it to look crappy, thats all. All opinions and suggestions are welcome, I'm a forum guy, so I don't get all butthurt about things.
Someone once had something to this effect in their signature...
1. Fast
2. Cheap
3. Good

You can sometimes pick two, but not all three!

2. I've downloaded the service manual for the 2001 model from the FAQ (Thanks btw!!!), but what are the differences between the 01 and the 96 models? Also, which transmission do I have? I'm referring to the actual name of it please.
1994-1995 Dodge Rams w/ V8: 46RH
1996-2001 Dodge Rams w/ V8: 46RE

The "catch all" number for 46RH and 46RE transmissions is A518.

3. I've read about some online company selling a body lift w/ shocks for $200, I can't find where though. Is this true? That would be perfect, because it has the original shocks (which need replacement) and I do want to put a small body lift on it (the body life will not be any larger than 2").

Thanks in advance fellas!
eBay!

Old 03-05-2010 | 08:42 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Budget paint job that turns out really nice.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/off-top...paint-job.html

That butthurt comment made me laugh a little, that's a good one.

That body lift seems well worth it to me considering that a set of shocks will run close to 200$ and a 2" body lift is around 150-200$. What brand are the shocks? I just re-read it, good luck finding that kit.

Old 03-05-2010 | 09:55 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

WELCOME ABOARD!!!

I used to have a 1996. If it is a 4x4, then I will sell you a bunch of parts from my 1996. I have a 2001 now. Too bad I junked it with my lift kit and rancho shocks. YOu can get the rancho shocks for 45 a piece from summit. then a 3 inch leveling kit with add a leaf for about 200 from summit.

If your truck is a 4x4, then i have these parts:

92 octane performance PCM: Since you are new to the forum, I will give you a 50% discount from what I was asking. I was asking 100, but I will give it to you for 50 dollars plus shipping.

I also have a MSD ignition and hypertech coil wired for our rams (with quick connects so you can return the truck back to stock in 30 seconds in case the box ever shorts out...never happened to me). I will let that kit part for 75.

I also have headers for that year. Edelbrock 60012 headers. THey are 550 in summit. But I will give them to you for 100. However, they are missing the stainless steel tubes that connect to the cat, and you will need to order the hardware kit. So basically, you get the headers for half price.

I will even throw in mossy oak seat covers that are basically new. I only have 4K miles on them. THink of it as packing material.

I also have the injectors still. they are 300 new, and only have 4K miles on them.

My setup worked great for my 5.2, and it should work for yours.

--Dan

Quick Reply: New Ram guy here, just got a few questions please...