2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The crap just keeps piling up - Tire thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:58 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The crap just keeps piling up - Tire thread

Purpl had an eventful weekend. After turning 180,000 miles on Friday, I start to hear a horrible noise like a bearing under the hood. Sure enough, the Dura-not-last water pump that I put in 40,000 miles ago is loose and making the loudest noise. I hate hearing a truck that has weird sounds coming from under the hood.

Then Friday night, while getting out of the truck I hear a horrible hissing noise. It was coming from the passenger side rear tire. Apparentley a pebble on my driveway had punctured the almost bald tires. Put the spare on and forgot about it. Truck looks, runs, and performs like crap, Happy 180,000, Purpl. She has been sitting in the garage since!

Long story short, I need new tires. I am gonna go with the stock 265/75/16 size. 285s would be nice, but they are out of question, they are expensive, and we still have to tow the camper. I am done getting crappy tires, I got a wonderful 25,000 miles out of my craptastic Goodyear Wrangler TDs. Now is the time to spend some money and get some good tires, that is the number one priority.

I have narrowed it down to three tires:

1. Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 E-range - $152/tire at Tires Plus
2. Cooper Discovery ATR C-Range - $220/tire at Bob Summeral
3. Toyo Open Country A/T - $151/tire at Tire Discounters

A set of Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmour tires is also not out of question, but these Goodyears really left a bad taste in my mouth.

The S-10 will also be getting some new tires even sooner than the Dodge, 235/70/15 Michelin LTX M/S or Toyo Open Country H/T.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:11 PM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay away from bridgestone, i had a said of cooper cobra's on my bmw for along time and I was happy with cooper.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:13 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go with the toyos, but may be able to take a look at the nitto terra grapplers... very good tire, a worth it, great AT tire, good towing, hard compound will last a while

http://www.wheelfire.com/scontent/Ti...terra&SKU=4726

this is just the first set i saw, litterally, i looked on google, and this was the first set, so feel free to look them up... they are a good tire for hgihway and light dirt roads, works .... ok... in mud

Old 03-07-2010, 09:22 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

Are you set on getting AT tires? Also a few other AT tires to check out or consider, BFG TA KO , DICK CEPEK F-C 11 (< i heard they do pretty good and take forever to wear) Kumho Road Venture KL78 they are about in your price range as the others you listed and are all load E range and have pretty good reviews through TireRack , OR you could go Big and get BFG TA KM2 muds for $198 . I'm sure you did your homework on tires and whatnot, check out tire rack just for the reviews alone is some insight. Oh yeah those silent armor isnt to bad either. Just throwing it out there.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:29 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazzard
Are you set on getting AT tires? Also a few other AT tires to check out or consider, BFG TA KO , DICK CEPEK F-C 11 (< i heard they do pretty good and take forever to wear) Kumho Road Venture KL78 they are about in your price range as the others you listed and are all load E range and have pretty good reviews through TireRack , OR you could go Big and get BFG TA KM2 muds for $198 . I'm sure you did your homework on tires and whatnot, check out tire rack just for the reviews alone is some insight. Oh yeah those silent armor isnt to bad either. Just throwing it out there.
The BFGs are overpriced and overrated. Over $220 a tire. Nobody sells Dick Cepeks near me, either.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:40 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

those terra grapplers or any tire fr that matter can be shipped to your house... check tire rack... or discoutn tire...

and those dick cepek FCIIs are pretty good

Old 03-07-2010, 09:41 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by meanwhitemopar
those terra grapplers or any tire fr that matter can be shipped to your house... check tire rack... or discoutn tire...

and those dick cepek FCIIs are pretty good
True, but I still have to pay to get them shipped, installed, mounted, and balanced.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:54 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

Summit does free Ground shipping correct ? They sell all sorts of tires also, just a thought, and a shop charged me $ 15 bucks a tire to mount and balance them, $60 bucks for 4 33'' tires not to shabby, just giving you more options, but good to keep the business local, too. plus they will be able to take care of your flats and balance and rotations.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:30 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

For purpl I would say the Toyo's or some Terra Grappler's and for the S-10 have you looked at BFG radial T/A they are a good all around tire and are cheap, look very nice with RWL if they made them big enough I would put some on my truck.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:35 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
For purpl I would say the Toyo's or some Terra Grappler's and for the S-10 have you looked at BFG radial T/A they are a good all around tire and are cheap, look very nice with RWL if they made them big enough I would put some on my truck.
Toyos on the Dodge, Michelins on the S-10. I need something that is good in the snow. I doubt the BFG Radial T/As are any good at that.

Does anyone know what kind of warranty the Toyos have on them?

Last edited by PurplDodge; 03-28-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Quick Reply: The crap just keeps piling up - Tire thread