2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mopar performance valve covers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine leaked oil out of the grommets because the baffles that come with them are just not adequete. I bought the full coverage baffles from APS, and that fixed the problem. Haven't had even the slightest oil leakage since. You could easily make your own to do the same thing by the way.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:17 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The aps baffles helped mine a bunch. The tiny baffles Mopar supplies just don't keep the oil cast off out of the grommets, and I'd suspect the PCV Valve might be sucking up more than it should too.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:24 PM
mr freeze
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok,baffles ordered.I hope they get here before the weekend so I can install everything.Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:34 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
I have HS 1.7 RR's and they fit fine under my stock valve covers. I thought one of the HS's main selling points was that they fit under the stock covers.

They did not fit under the OEM stock valve covers without cutting out the internal baffles- I just went through this a few months ago in fact but, I am going to state that it "may" depend on the heads as I am not running the stock OEM heads but RPM heads and, the only way to get them to fit was to remove the baffles.

I am now looking around to find new covers with baffles and breather elements pre cut that are tall enough to clear the Sharps. I found that Edlebrock makes a set but, their covers do not have precut holes thus requiring me to machine them.

The question is: what is the height of the MP valve covers from the baffle to the head- that's all I need to know.

Does anyone know what the clearance is between the baffle and cover mount point at the head?

CM

Old 03-30-2010, 10:35 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
The aps baffles helped mine a bunch. The tiny baffles Mopar supplies just don't keep the oil cast off out of the grommets, and I'd suspect the PCV Valve might be sucking up more than it should too.
Aim,

Where do I find these APS baffles? Are these low profile baffles meaning, it allows more clearance than stock baffles?

Thanks,

CM

Old 03-30-2010, 03:08 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

APS Precision. Google it.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmckenna
They did not fit under the OEM stock valve covers without cutting out the internal baffles- I just went through this a few months ago in fact but, I am going to state that it "may" depend on the heads as I am not running the stock OEM heads but RPM heads and, the only way to get them to fit was to remove the baffles.

I am now looking around to find new covers with baffles and breather elements pre cut that are tall enough to clear the Sharps. I found that Edlebrock makes a set but, their covers do not have precut holes thus requiring me to machine them.

The question is: what is the height of the MP valve covers from the baffle to the head- that's all I need to know.

Does anyone know what the clearance is between the baffle and cover mount point at the head?

CM
Did the valve covers not meet the mounting flange on the head or did the rockers contact as the motor was rotated? I have Harland Sharp 1.7's under the factory valve covers on my 5.9L with stock heads (also on my old 5.2L). The valve covers just dropped onto the heads without any clearance issues and I do not notice any contact noise from the RR's when the motor is running. I also did not notice and contact issues when i rotated the motor on a stand. As you know the RPM heads accept more lift then the stock heads. Could the contact issue be a side affect of the heads allowing more lift?

Old 03-30-2010, 03:29 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
Did the valve covers not meet the mounting flange on the head or did the rockers contact as the motor was rotated? I have Harland Sharp 1.7's under the factory valve covers on my 5.9L with stock heads (also on my old 5.2L). The valve covers just dropped onto the heads without any clearance issues and I do not notice any contact noise from the RR's when the motor is running. I also did not notice and contact issues when i rotated the motor on a stand. As you know the RPM heads accept more lift then the stock heads. Could the contact issue be a side affect of the heads allowing more lift?
The covers were way up in the air and didn't come close to making contact. I just ordered a pair of baffles and some MP covers so, hopefully there's enough clearance. I noted it has a flat design on the baffles along with it being squared off to clear the entire tops of the rockers so, that alone is going to help clear the Sharps. We will see.

CM

Last edited by cmckenna; 03-30-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Mopar performance valve covers...