2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 02:10 PM
notanexit7
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I be concerned?

I noticed today while topping off fluids that the transmission hose (not the check valve one but the one right next to it going into the tranny cooler) and the line going from the top of the radiator into the tranny cooler is all gunked up and nasty lookin. Its never looked like that before. Should I be worried? The transmission fluid hasn't been changed in a couple years but it's still red and it doesn't smell burnt. I don't have a camera to take pictures otherwise I'd show you guys.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:13 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You probably just have a very slow leak around that fitting and dust and dirt has collected around it.

Change your transmission fluid. Color and smell does not tell you the condition of ATF+4.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:18 PM
CSXfan
All Star

I have the same issue, except mine is actually dripping all over the front end. I've lost about 1.5 quarts in the last 20,xxx miles. Is there an easy fix?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:26 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CSXfan
I have the same issue, except mine is actually dripping all over the front end. I've lost about 1.5 quarts in the last 20,xxx miles. Is there an easy fix?
Where is it leaking?

Old 03-09-2010, 07:59 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CSXfan
for some stupid reason, replacement hoses are not sold by themselves, but only with the entire hard line. someone bought the whole contraption and it wasn't super expensive, seems like it was $60-80.

the hose for the check valve does unscrew from the check valve, but once you remove the check valve, it becomes sort of a erector set to couple it all back together. the other hose is crimped to the hard line, so it becomes a project also.

so here's the easy fix... use a tubing cutter and cut off all the quick connects and flares, and check valve, and crap - replace it with generic transmission line (sold by the foot) and double clamp it.

you should change your transmission fluid and filter every 1-2 years on these trucks. put a drain plug in the pan to make it easier and less messy.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:33 PM
95ram5.9
Rookie

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
for some stupid reason, replacement hoses are not sold by themselves, but only with the entire hard line. someone bought the whole contraption and it wasn't super expensive, seems like it was $60-80.

the hose for the check valve does unscrew from the check valve, but once you remove the check valve, it becomes sort of a erector set to couple it all back together. the other hose is crimped to the hard line, so it becomes a project also.

so here's the easy fix... use a tubing cutter and cut off all the quick connects and flares, and check valve, and crap - replace it with generic transmission line (sold by the foot) and double clamp it.

you should change your transmission fluid and filter every 1-2 years on these trucks. put a drain plug in the pan to make it easier and less messy.
+ 1,000 on this one. All those fittings and check ***** do is slowly kill the tranny. Get rid of them and let the fluid run through the tranny like it was meant too. Stupid Chrysler, no wonder they went bankrupt

Old 03-09-2010, 10:02 PM
notanexit7
Captain

Yeah I've changed the fluid ever 2 years since I bought it. I've been runnin a little behind this time. Whats worse is that its not ATF+4 in the truck right now and it's been running like that for all this time. I've read the diy for the check valve and it looks like a PITA but I guess I can give it a try when I change the fluid.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine's leaking all around that area too. I'll get some pics tomorrow in the daylight. I need to change the tranny fluid, and I want to get rid of that checkball. That thing just cooked my buddy's trans in his dakota a month ago

Old 03-09-2010, 10:24 PM
notanexit7
Captain

I've been lucky with it in so far. 238k miles lucky.

Quick Reply: Should I be concerned?