2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

4x4 actuator ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:14 AM
quackaddict
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 actuator ?

Is it supposed to be loose and move by hand. Trying to figure out why I have no 4x4. I checked the vac lines and they appear to be ok. But I noticed a lot of crud where the actuator is and noticed I can turn it a good 1/4 turn by hand. Just wondering if it could be the problem?

Old 03-10-2010, 03:58 AM
lblair04
Veteran

If your talking about the cylindrical part on the side of it...it will move a little bit. It is kept from spinning by a tab on the frame of the CAD and a bolt-type part on the end of the cylinder. Dont know how to describe it without a pic.

Sometimes, the fork in the CAD will break. Also, there is an actuator on top of the transfer case that can go bad...its what the vac lines connect to on top of the t/c.

Is your light just not turning on or what? Have you tried putting the truck on jackstands (all 4 tires off) and putting it in 4x4 and seeing if anything happens? Does your driveshaft spin?

The CAD's arent the best design for 4x4 in the first place. Before replacing the CAD, I would buy a posi-lok unit...they are around $200 and are more reliable.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:19 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 03-10-2010, 07:35 AM
hammerhead1985

sometimes the small e-clips that hold the fork on the shaft can break or come off. then he shaft will move and close the switch making the 4 X 4 light come on when really the fork didn't slide the collar to lock it in. If the light comes on but no 4X4, I'd check that first. You'll see a small groove on both sides of the fork and there should be an e-clip on both sides

Old 03-10-2010, 04:33 PM
quackaddict
Veteran

I get no 4x4 light in or out of 4x4. put it on jackstands not in 4x4 you turn the wheel driveshaft does not spin but you can spin the driveshaft by hand. Lock it in 4x4 turn the front tires driveshaft still doesn't spin.

I did notice when not in 4x4 I can turn the front driveshaft by hand, but once you put it in 4x4 it will not spin.

They give us straight axles when everyone else is IFS then give us a crappy engagement system......lovely.

Just read Dhvaughn's link, from what I read the T/C is engaging when I move the lever because the drivshaft will not spin by hand so I need to do further diagnosis to see if it is the fork or the motor............ahhh fun

Last edited by quackaddict; 03-10-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:04 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i just did my seals today, and the actuator is like this....there is a shaft that goes into the carrier, and it has a hole in the top (in cad area) Then theres another shaft that goes through (shaft that holds wheel bearing/with u-joint) that has a spool that fits n the hole of the other shaft. In between them (CAD area) there is a small gear that goes around the outter shaft. then the actuator that goes in has a fork that fits around the smaller gear. when you pull the lever, it moves the small gear so its on both shaft splines, thus engaging 4x4.

how that helped....i just learned how they worked today, and thought i would share lol

Old 03-10-2010, 06:53 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by quackaddict
I get no 4x4 light in or out of 4x4. put it on jackstands not in 4x4 you turn the wheel driveshaft does not spin but you can spin the driveshaft by hand. Lock it in 4x4 turn the front tires driveshaft still doesn't spin.

I did notice when not in 4x4 I can turn the front driveshaft by hand, but once you put it in 4x4 it will not spin.

They give us straight axles when everyone else is IFS then give us a crappy engagement system......lovely.

Just read Dhvaughn's link, from what I read the T/C is engaging when I move the lever because the drivshaft will not spin by hand so I need to do further diagnosis to see if it is the fork or the motor............ahhh fun

If you read the link dhvaughan posted and you still can't figure it out, I have a Posi-lok if you would like to purchase it.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:16 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone know where i can buy just the cable? i bought the posi lock kit, and then brought all my stuff from NY to NC and i lost it in the move... my parents say its not in NY, and i looked all aorund my house in NC, and cant find it....

sorry for the thread jack, but it may be the vac source... it doesnt seem like ti but pull the lines of the diafram on the axle, and in 2wd one should hve vac, then in 4wd the other should have vac,,, and a good amount too, like enough to pull your finger to it... so... it may be something there.. fix for that is the posi lock kit

Old 03-10-2010, 09:28 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^try to contact posilok for spare parts. maybe you'll get lucky at a reasonable price, but don't be surprised if the damn cable is a much as the whole kit. there's not a lot to the kit other than the cable - just the button, button bracket, cad cover, light switch, fork piece.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:58 AM
lblair04
Veteran

As far as the cable goes...I built a posi lok for my Jeep...I used a throttle cable with the locking t-handle. Might be able to do this??

I have known the vacuum acuator on top of the t/c going out. It isnt very difficult to replace...its just threaded in the top and should only be around $20.

Quick Reply: 4x4 actuator ?