2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny flush?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:04 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tranny flush?

I know flushing is supposedly bad for our trannys. After my fieldcapades I know I need to change the fluid. My question is without getting a flush how do I get all the bad fluid out? Is just draining the pan enough?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:12 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no its not bc all that burnt fluid is still in the TC and also in the trans cooler and lines

Old 03-11-2010, 08:14 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

Naw pan spill and fill not gonna get it all out, my cooler line blew and and i emptied my tranny out that way, i caught it right off the bat and ended up adding about 10 Quarts, so thats how i flushed mine accidently, , someone will chime in.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How old is your tranny? Flushing it regularly is good for it. It is only bad when you flush a tranny that hasn't ever been flushed or it has been a long time.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:25 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star

hahah its gotta be flushed after boiling it to 380* pulling a ford out of a field lmao

Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i flushed mine in the middle of the road the other day. hose blew off and it pumped out most of the fluid within about a minute. it took 9 qts to fill it back up.

it didn't seem to hurt it, although it took a lot of trial and error to get it back to full but not overfull. it was also snowing, so it looked like a bloody massacre had occurred.

so if you remove the pressure hose from the radiator (the one with the check valve), and put it in a bucket, and crank the truck and put it in neutral, it'll empty the sob in no time flat. its important to shut it off as soon as it quits pumping or you'll ruin the pump. they'll still be some fluid in the pan, below the pickup, so you'll need to drop the pan.

an alternative is to drop the pan, replace filter, and install a drain plug. drive it a week or two and then drain, replace filter, again. if the transmission hasn't been serviced regularly i strongly recommend this double change because everything will be covered in sludge. the new fluid will put it in suspension and begin to clog up the new filter. after a month or two it'll be stopped up. this is why there are so many trans failures shortly after 100,000+ mile services.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Hammer Down
Veteran

Quote: an alternative is to drop the pan, replace filter, and install a drain plug. drive it a week or two and then drain, replace filter, again. if the transmission hasn't been serviced regularly i strongly recommend this double change because everything will be covered in sludge. the new fluid will put it in suspension and begin to clog up the new filter. after a month or two it'll be stopped up. this is why there are so many trans failures shortly after 100,000+ mile services.:Quote

Is that a fact? I just thought that whole thing about a tranny going bad right after a fluid change was just a supersticion. That must be what happened to my transmission. It failed only a few thousand miles after changing the fluid.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:06 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is all new fluid since the engine rebuild. I don't have a stock pan so it has a drain plug. Filter is new since rebuild as well. My tranny now takes like 14 qts I'm not double changing it.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:20 AM
MrRuckuss
Veteran

i'm kinda iffy about that myself but my fluid is gettin a little light in color and i bought it used so god only knows if its been maintained.

Quick Reply: Tranny flush?