2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking to buy a Ram - advice and opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010 | 10:01 PM
CSXfan
All Star

And as for a lift the easiest thing to do would be coil spacers up front, and add-a-leaf/blocks in the rear. This can be done for around $150 if you shop around.

Old 03-14-2010 | 03:01 AM
turbospartan
|

Thanks for the replies guys.

Would I need a lift to fit the 35's? What brand can get me the $150 lift?

What would you guys say is a fair price for what I've stated....2500 single cab long bed with v10, 82k miles, everything supposedly works but it's got a little rust...

About the v10 - any things I should checkfor in particular when test driving?

Thanks again

Old 03-16-2010 | 12:38 PM
turbospartan
|

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
The V10 is thirtsy but overall is a good engine. Don't worry about cracked heads that was only really an issue with the early ones 94-96?. The truck will have a 47RE transmission which is stronger than the 46RE in the 1/2 tons but is still not the best. With 82K on the truck you could install a shift kit and maybe get the tranny to last a little longer. It will have a version of the NP241 transfercase which is a capable case. The truck will also have a Dana 60 in the front and a Dana 70 in the rear. Both axles are plenty strong for what it sounds like you are doing. With enough lift you could probably run 40's with out to many issues. The axles will either be geared with 3.55's or 4.10's as I don't think 3.93's where offered in the HD trucks and I think 3.73 was a cummins only option, I could be wrong on both of these. For running 35's even if you have 3.55's you won't need to regear if you don't want to as the torque of the V10 will handle the tires. If it is priced right I would say buy it as the truck will easily handle most of what you want to do.

Thanks for this info (and thanks to the other guys' as well).

A question for you.... are you certain that the 2500's came with D60's in front and D70's in the rear... or were those options along with other axles?

Also - does anyone know where I can find a maintenance schedule for the V10 engine?

Does the timing belt/chain need to be switched out at a certain mileage/age?

Thanks
Steve

Old 03-16-2010 | 01:11 PM
Ram_V_10

I own a 1998 Dodge V10 and have 8" of lift in it (5" suspension and 3" body) and can fit 37"x12.5" tires under it with no rubbing. As far as the lifts themselves go the body lift is by far the cheapest but the suspension will usually result in better performance for obvious reasons. My truck has a Dana 60 front and Dana 70 rear and 3:55 gears stock. I bought the truck when it had 98k on it and it currently has 118k and I have had no issues with it so far. Even with the 37's and stock gears the truck has more than enough power to go through the mud but I am planning on upgrading to 4:88's this summer. Check out some of my vids: http://www.youtube.com/rbdrainv

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a Ram - advice and opinions needed