2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Switch keeps burning out

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:55 PM
gemcginnis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Switch keeps burning out

I have a problem with brake switch burning out. I have replaced 3 of them so far. Has anyone had this problem and might have an idea what might be causing this to happen?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

sounds lik a wiring issue...check all grounds and wiring...ive had 3 different wiring problems with my ram, and have heard of many others, so its not uncommon for these to have bad wires in some points

Welcome to the Forums

Old 03-12-2010, 07:40 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that's weird. check your fuse, brake light bulbs, sockets, and maybe the blinker flasher unit and hazard flasher if separate. see if you can identify something that's drawing more amperage than what its supposed to.

then again - if all 3 switches came from the same place it could be a bad batch. buy a different brand from a different place.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:39 PM
gemcginnis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay so far I have found no bad wire connections or grounds. Here is a new twist though. Now the ABS light will illunminate and the speedo will fall to "0" sometimes the BRAKE light will also come on. I am pretty sure all of these systems are tied together but not sure how. Any ideas now!

Quick Reply: Brake Switch keeps burning out