2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny-how bad to pull?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 01:46 PM
lblair04
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny-how bad to pull?

I cant ship my truck until the rear frost plugs are replaced due to leaking coolant. I called the stealership, and they want AT LEAST $800 to replace the plugs. So, my question is, if I have a free weekend...A) how long would it take to remove tranny and replace plugs? B) I consider myself pretty good with mechanical stuff and figuring things out (I have only pulled 1 tranny before...manual tho) how hard of a task is it to pull a 46RE? Pretty straight forward? Does the torque convertor need to come off?

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2010, 03:21 PM
gobbell1
Professional

Go here...http://bellsouthpwp2.net/t/h/thegobb...ze%20plugs.jpg

This is a pic I took after I pulled my 46RE. It took me and my dad a total of 10 hours. BUT....we spent 2-3 riding around getting extra jacks, tools in the middle of the pull. The biggest time component was the exhaust. We had to cut it several times to remove it, before I could remove the tranny.

Also, this manual,

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/t/h/thegobb...20Teardown.pdf

walks you thru all the setup prior to removal. Like you, I went ahead and replaced the 2 freeze plugs in the back of the motor. I couldn't reach the 2 in the heads.

All in all, I'd say a solid day (12 hrs) at a min and 2 days max!

Last edited by gobbell1; 03-19-2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: link
Old 03-19-2010, 04:52 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

havent attempted it myself yet on this type of truck, but ive read the tranny weighs about 180 lbs, and its a pain to et it separated from the transfer case...

Old 03-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gobbell1
Go here...http://bellsouthpwp2.net/t/h/thegobb...ze%20plugs.jpg

This is a pic I took after I pulled my 46RE. It took me and my dad a total of 10 hours. BUT....we spent 2-3 riding around getting extra jacks, tools in the middle of the pull. The biggest time component was the exhaust. We had to cut it several times to remove it, before I could remove the tranny.

Also, this manual,

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/t/h/thegobb...20Teardown.pdf

walks you thru all the setup prior to removal. Like you, I went ahead and replaced the 2 freeze plugs in the back of the motor. I couldn't reach the 2 in the heads.

All in all, I'd say a solid day (12 hrs) at a min and 2 days max!
Nice write up dude! Is it part of the 2nd gen DIY links? If not, it should be! I don't think I'd ever attempt an auto tranny rebuild, but I'm sure there are some that would, and this would be killer to read while doin it!

Old 03-20-2010, 01:01 AM
lblair04
Veteran

Thanks guys! I can do all the work at the hobby shop on base, where they have mechanics there that can help me if I need some help. I called them and they said that sometimes the block-heater style freeze plugs (has a gasket on inside and out and a screw tightens it up) are easier than the brass ones. I think I will use the brass anyways since they are in about every freeze plug post.

Also, should I change my rear main seal, even if its not leaking?

Im going to go ahead and do this myself.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:37 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

It's not hard at all to pull. Just have some long extensions for the top bolts. It only took me and my buddy about 6 hours to swap my tranny out in my other dodge. I would change the rear main and the front pump seal on the tranny just because you're already that far may as well. It'd be my luck I wouldn't change it and 2 weeks later it'd start leaking

Quick Reply: Tranny-how bad to pull?