2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Freeze plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:48 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freeze plug

Hey guys I'm new here and I have been looking around and I see there are some knowledgeable ppl on here so heres my problem. I have a 97 Ram 1500 with a 360 in it, the freeze plug on the passenger side is leaking it is the one under the motor mount! I am pretty knowledgeable with vehicles myself but have never had to replace a freeze plug. So I'm just asking for a little help here on what is the best and fastest way to do it correctly I have the new freeze plug its brass. Thanks

Old 03-20-2010, 08:04 PM
sit22 II
Rookie

Make a hole in the middle of the freeze plug and pry it out with a pry bar.
To install it there is a special tool for them but if u dont have the tool i guess you can use a piece of wood

Old 03-20-2010, 08:40 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

thanks for the input

Old 04-07-2010, 07:15 PM
hpd611
Default Me too!

Hey, I have the exact same problem, only on the driver's side. I was wondering if you have fixed yours yet and if you had to support the engine while you removed that engine mount to change the freeze plug? Thanks for any feedback or instructions that you have.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I replaced my freeze plugs, I got a metal punch and knocked the top inwards. That cause's the bottom to pop out. Then get some pressure pliers and pull it out. To install the new freeze plug, just use a socket that fits on the inside of the plug and hit it in. Make sure you drive it as straight as possible.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:11 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hpd611
Hey, I have the exact same problem, only on the driver's side. I was wondering if you have fixed yours yet and if you had to support the engine while you removed that engine mount to change the freeze plug? Thanks for any feedback or instructions that you have.
if you remove the engine mount then you do need to support the engine. you can put a 2x8 (or similar) block of wood under the oil pan (to protect it) and then a jack. jack up on the engine a smidgen and remove the mount.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

I havent done it yet I plan to this weekend I suggest using a jack and if by any chance you have a engine hoist I would use that. I will never put a block under oil pan that would just be my luck that the motor would fall and crush the pan in I suggest if you dont have a engine hoist jack the motor up then stick a 2x4 or something on the side of the block against the frame and slowly let the jack down but be sure to keep a little pressure on the motor with your jack just for safe keeping.maybe a little time consumming its amazing how a 62 cent part is going to be a big pain in the *** lol if I get mine done before you do ill lead you thru it on how I done it and what not to do lol

Quick Reply: Freeze plug