2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shift kit.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010 | 01:43 AM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

Is a firmer shift harder on the trannys? Does it cause more wear and tear? I thought about it but figured these trannys are delicate as it is and dont want to speed up the life of one.

Old 03-22-2010 | 01:51 AM
J415
Champion

From what I understand, the firmer the shift, the harder it is on the bands...There was a post that explained it very well. Now if only I could find it.

Old 03-22-2010 | 04:54 AM
dakotas ram
Champion

but it also causes less heat, ive always heard its better than no kit

Old 03-22-2010 | 10:16 AM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

A firmer shift is much better for a tranny. Most people think the opposite but that is far from the truth. When a tranny shifts smooth it must slip a lot during the shift. When the shifts are firmed up the tranny does not slip nearly as much. By firming up the shifts the tranny will last a lot longer.

Old 03-22-2010 | 11:36 AM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

A firmer shift IS good for the tranny. On a stock transmission, two clutches engage at once when changing to a specific gear to give you a smooth shift, thus wearing out the clutches. The shift kit is supposed to eliminate that problem, and engage only one at a time. I've never heard of them hurting the bands??

Old 03-22-2010 | 12:28 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by EndIsNear
A firmer shift IS good for the tranny. On a stock transmission, two clutches engage at once when changing to a specific gear to give you a smooth shift, thus wearing out the clutches. The shift kit is supposed to eliminate that problem, and engage only one at a time. I've never heard of them hurting the bands??
Basically this is confirming what you just said for those that still aren’t sure about shift kits http://www.allpar.com/mopar/shift-kits.html.
They are not that hard to install just follow the instructions.
I did my 727 in my 81 Dodge Ram. I had mine set up for RV/Towing, nice firm shift but not neck snapping.
Also check out this DIY by aims4squirrels https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...with-pics.html lots of good info.
1 thing I would recommend whenever dropping or installing the valve body is to use 2 pieces of coat hanger that run from side to side hanging an inch or 2 below to help support the valve body. Your arms will appreciate it especially when trying to reinstall it and trying to hookup the parking rod.
Dave

Old 03-22-2010 | 08:09 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

would this be a good kit for my 46rh and what are you asking for it?

Quick Reply: Shift kit.