2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

March Pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Loki666
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default March Pulleys

Ok seems I have March (underdrive?) pulleys. Found this out replacing my alt. this weekend and stuck a stock alt. on and had some problems with the belt being loose and making serious squealing noises. So I have two questions for yall, are these pulleys a good thing? Ive been reading a bit online and havent found any negative feedback on them. My second question is could these pulleys go bad and not charge my batt. correctly? My volts gauge steady drops if I am at an idle with the headlights on. Maybe Im reading to much into the alt. but my battery tested good when I had autozone run a test on it. (All in all I had to pull and install my new alt. a total of 7 times this weekend, long story )

Old 03-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

IIRC, underdrive pulleys wont charge the battery as effcient as normal pulleys. I believe you need to get a bigger alt.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:50 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats what i was thinkin, but i got a crank pulley and with my 90amp alt is does fine, low at idle tho

Old 03-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Loki666

I dont have the full set of pulleys either, I have the one on my 136 AMP alt. and I think the crank (lowest pulley). Dont know if that makes a difference having the full set or not.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

If you have one on the alternator, and the crank, you have a "set". March,Hughes,ASP are the same basic setup. 1 Alt pulley and a crank pulley, only difference is wether they are steel or aluminum.

Yes, you will need a bigger belt from stock to run both pulleys. (IIRC, its around 96" for both, 95" if you just run the crank pulley)

Yes, your voltage will drop below 12V at idle with both pulleys. It does pop right back up as you accelerate or put it in neutral and raise the RPM's. If you just run the crank pulley it goes to about 13V at idle.

No, its is not a good idea if your gonna have alot of draw on the alternator and charging system (i.e. extra lights,sound system,winch) to run the underdrive pulleys no matter what amp rating your alternator is.

Hopefully this helps clear up some questions. I have had my Hughes' on my engine for almost a year now. They were a not spectacular, but noticeable change from stock. It does take back some of the HP lost to turning the pulleys and gets it to the real wheels, where it belongs.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Loki666

Thank you all, relieved to find out what my alt. is doing is normal with these pulleys. I dont think I could have taken much more Alt. drama, lol. Moving on to my next project, either the front O2 sensor or a wheel bearing decisions decisions. Thanks again.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:25 PM
screnshaw400

Hi all, I just ended up picking a good shape 98 with a 5.2. I also just got a set of ud pulleys (crank and alt I believe) for it (5 bucks on ebay, used, cannot go wrong!) and was wondering if anyone knows a part number for them. I read here that they were probably around 96 inches, just want to know if anyone might have a part number available. Thanks again all!

Old 04-07-2010, 07:54 PM
mr freeze
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

screnshaw,you suck.I was gonna bid on those too but I forgot the auction,was to busy watching Zombieland over the weekend.I hope a zombie eats you for not being prepared.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:31 PM
screnshaw400

I think that I put the bid in about two days before and was more than surprised that no one else bid on them. The dude was cool and it only took two days to get them! Now the task is to find the correct size serpentine belt for the udp!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:20 PM
mr freeze
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just what I heard from another member here but you might want to try a 95 3/4" belt if you have a/c.He stated the only place he could find the belt was at napa.Credit goes to bigredram95 for the size.

Quick Reply: March Pulleys