2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New guy trying to wrap my head around door rust issue???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010 | 09:51 PM
yakkier
Banned

God i wish mine was only that bad.

Old 03-22-2010 | 10:00 PM
Whaack
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Tell you what I did to fix and stop mine from rusting.(along with small rot hole in rocker below the doors) ....first I popped the interior door panel off and cleaned and painted a couple nice thick coats of zero-rust (por 15 works too) in the very bottom seam to seal it up at the seam and made sure the drain holes were clear.
Then I took a wire brush and ground all the rust I could out of the lower bottom inner lip then sanded the ourtside and wire brushed it as well.... then I slopped on some navel jelly to help remove the hard to reach rush followed by the rust converter....
After all the prep work was done I went to habor frieght and bought like 10 tubes of the two part epoxy (looks like jbweld but clear) jbweld would work too....I slopped it in the inside door lip all along the bottom in a couple coats nice and thick....then did the outside where there was rust...
Waited a good 24 hours and then used a sanding block and file to get it looking smooth and straight...
I then primed and painted and followed it up with two coats of hurculiner dabbed on with paint brush only up to the lower bend/bodyline (about 5 inches up from bottom covering the inside door sill making it a non slip surface) I did this to my passenger side last fall and it completly stopped any rust through the whole buffalo winter and all the accompanying road salt...I didnt get to coat the driver side with hurculiner so there is some slight surface rust on the door rocker surface because of it...But I will fix that soon.

I should mention the po used bondo and it was wet under the paint causing bubbling and more rust...I ground all of that out and used only the epoxy and a little med hair fiberglass for the two golf ball sized holes after spraying the inside with rust converter/sealer)
I like the idea of putting on Herculiner a lot. I am planning on doing the truck bed as soon as I can block out a nice day. I am thinking if I can't have a body shop fix it up like new the herculiner is the next best option. The only question is should I do black or red??

Old 03-22-2010 | 10:04 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

LMC makes new lower door skins for about $50. Cut out, weld new in, and re-paint. Dont cover it with Bondo, I did with the S-10 and the rust came back worse.

And for the love of god, take off that OFF-ROAD sticker.

Old 03-22-2010 | 10:06 PM
Whaack
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
LMC makes new lower door skins for about $50. Cut out, weld new in, and re-paint. Dont cover it with Bondo, I did with the S-10 and the rust came back worse.

Haha! The guy I bought the truck from was REALLY proud of those stickers! He had them custom made to match the factory decals.

So I am thinking if I get the lower door skins and pay a body shop to replace and repaint would be my best option?

So do you think I need part 14 or 15? Can I get by with just part 15?

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/full.aspx?Page=16

Oops, answered my own question. For Quad cab I need part 15.

Last edited by Whaack; 03-22-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2010 | 10:13 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

That shows a lot about the guy you bought the truck off..."You know what, you can keep the stickers, here..." and you take a grinder to them...

Part 15 is the one you want. Sorry, its been a while since I got a LMC catalog in the mail.

Old 03-23-2010 | 12:07 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by PurplDodge

Who said anything about bondo?...I only mentioned it when I stated I removed it....many body shops use epoxies for repair....hell newer exotic cars even use it to bond metal body panels to other materials....Its a good alternative when welding is not possible or unaffordable...
In related experience the road salt really tried to do a number on my pershing auto front bumper and grill (which rusted often even with polishing and waxing about 4 times thoughout the winter...(plastic chrome grill has even started pitting and its only 7 months old.... there really is a difference in quality sometimes between the cheap and the oem stuff...Hopefully the replacement panel are made of decent steel? If you do use the panels make sure you coat all the welding well with a sealer inside the door or it will rust even faster...

Old 03-23-2010 | 01:15 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

There is a good book in autozone about how to paint your car. It goes over from just buffing and waxing to a FULL RESTORATION. costs 25 bucks.

The only tools you need is elbow grease. Maybe a dremel. But if you have air tools, it makes it easier. I got a 33 gallon compressor at sears on sale with an impact wrench, air ratchet and blowgun. All i need is a water separator and spray gun, and I can redo my tailgate.

Old 03-23-2010 | 01:21 AM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Who said anything about bondo?...I only mentioned it when I stated I removed it....many body shops use epoxies for repair....hell newer exotic cars even use it to bond metal body panels to other materials....Its a good alternative when welding is not possible or unaffordable...
In related experience the road salt really tried to do a number on my pershing auto front bumper and grill (which rusted often even with polishing and waxing about 4 times thoughout the winter...(plastic chrome grill has even started pitting and its only 7 months old.... there really is a difference in quality sometimes between the cheap and the oem stuff...Hopefully the replacement panel are made of decent steel? If you do use the panels make sure you coat all the welding well with a sealer inside the door or it will rust even faster...
I said use bondo. Most shops are going to weld in a replacement panel then cover it with bondo and sand it down. It eliminates the imperfections in the metal. Bondo is a good thing unless it is being used to fill holes or the area it is being applied to is not properly prepped. If you just sanded that spot down and sprayed over it you would be able to tell there was work done as the area would not be smooth or even.

Old 03-23-2010 | 09:40 AM
mctdi
Amateur

Originally Posted by Whaack
Haha! The guy I bought the truck from was REALLY proud of those stickers! He had them custom made to match the factory decals.

So I am thinking if I get the lower door skins and pay a body shop to replace and repaint would be my best option?

So do you think I need part 14 or 15? Can I get by with just part 15?

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/full.aspx?Page=16

Oops, answered my own question. For Quad cab I need part 15.
Part # 14 looks cheaper, and the seem might be more hidden.

Old 03-23-2010 | 10:08 AM
Whaack
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by mctdi
Part # 14 looks cheaper, and the seem might be more hidden.
Ya I like cheaper but it looks like I have to have part #15 because I have the Quad cab otherwise I would get #14.

I am really hoping I can get this fixed for not too much because other than the rust on the doors this thing is almost mint for being 2000.

I am super jacked about it and can't wait to add some custom touches to make it mine. Thanks for the help on here, looking forward to knowing you all more in the coming months!

Quick Reply: New guy trying to wrap my head around door rust issue???