2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

World Products Mopar Hemi/Wedge Compressed Graphite Iron (CGI) Blocks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 02:05 AM
brokenroads37502
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RM_Indy
Could make just as much hp/trq as a BB with barely any of the fabrication that would be needed with a BB. R3 small block can go safely to 472ci when bored/stroked (512 radical). The R3 wont have the big wt penalty either.
Small block is much cheaper (hair under 3K IIRC), will bolt up like a Magnum & be substantially lighter than the BB. R3 blocks pretty strong with the extra webbing, 4bolt mains & 6bolt head mounting.

Buddy stroked his R3 block for his Indy to 454ci to raze the chebby guys.
Sorry I really can't agree with the first part of your statement. Small blocks inherently cannot keep up with the potential of a big block. you have to go extreme on a small block in order to get the results of a mild to medium build on a big block.

All the rest of your statement though I agree with whole heartedly. (less fabrication, etc. etc.)

However, even with the extra webbing the R3 block is still out classed by these CGI blocks in terms of strength. It has nothing to do with webbing at all. It's because Compressed Graphite Iron in and of itself is much stronger than Grey Iron or more commonly known as Cast Iron! It's also much lighter. Which means that a CGI block would not be much heavier than a Small Block. 512 CID is a good starting point for a Big Block. But like you said in your post that's on the radical side of things.

Some of these R3 blocks cost right at the same price as the CGI big blocks. Also as I recall not only were the Hemi/Wedge CGI blocks 4 bolt mains but they were also of course crossbolted. Yet again stronger blocks. What will that extra strength be good for in the end? Even more ability to handle you guessed it More Power!

Yes, R3 smallblocks can be built strong. Yes, they would require less fabrication than a big block. Substantially lighter than the CGI big block? I'm not to convinced there. As strong as the CGI Block? No, I don't think so!

Last edited by brokenroads37502; 03-26-2010 at 02:08 AM.

Quick Reply: World Products Mopar Hemi/Wedge Compressed Graphite Iron (CGI) Blocks!