2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Almost burnt up a chev rearend :p

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Ram_Me
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swear I read something on here about them being diesels. Maybe I'm crazy...

Old 03-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ha you guys are full of bright ideas tonight....

And I would buy an 89 Caravan box on wheels before I bought another blazer.... sorry purp... it's not even that it's a bad truck, it's actually quite a nice little truck for the wife, but we've just had alot of bad luck with it... Although a friend of mine has had one for a few years and he also has put a ton of money into it, and its pretty much an on road vehicle like this one is (usually )

I imagine it'll be a GC we get if we do end up selling this one. She wants lots of room for kids, friends w/ kids etc. and I have enough to worry about with ONE truck

Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 AM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**** it buy a magnum...

Old 03-25-2010, 01:01 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx_Magnum
ha you guys are full of bright ideas tonight....

And I would buy an 89 Caravan box on wheels before I bought another blazer.... sorry purp... it's not even that it's a bad truck, it's actually quite a nice little truck for the wife, but we've just had alot of bad luck with it... Although a friend of mine has had one for a few years and he also has put a ton of money into it, and its pretty much an on road vehicle like this one is (usually )

I imagine it'll be a GC we get if we do end up selling this one. She wants lots of room for kids, friends w/ kids etc. and I have enough to worry about with ONE truck
do not get a GC. I bought a 2007 GC for my wife (hemi, heated seats, overland package, the works) and she hated it. It was not big enough. You can fit two car seats in the back, and an anorexic toddler. Not kids/parents/and kids friends. Plus, have your wife sit in the back seat with you in the drivers seat and front seat. your knees will be in your face.

After 2 years, I had to get a GMC yukon. Paid 36K for the jeep, just to get 32K financed 2 years later. YOu need something with a 3rd row if you have kids. The yukon actually drives smoother than the GC. Plenty of room in back to stretch out.

--Dan

Old 03-25-2010, 01:06 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the new GMT-900 platform trucks and SUVs. Plus you know there are a **** load of them, too.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:21 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

I paid 32K for a 2007 Yukon with 19K miles, and the dealership had it reaphulstered with genuine leather. It is just a 2WD model though. But they did trade in the GC for the full price I owed. Which was even better...I refinanced my GC at a higher price about 3 months before I traded it in. I had 19K paid off, and got it refinanced for 23K and used the remainder to pay off my 2001 ram. So the dealership helped me pay off my truck too!!! SO I basically paid 29K for a 2007 Yukon with new leather and 19K miles. THat is a pretty fair price.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:26 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That sounds like a pretty damn good deal!

Old 03-25-2010, 01:32 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
That sounds like a pretty damn good deal!
I kept having nightmares that I got screwed. But I basically went from a top of the line GC, to a no frills yukon. The trade in value of that year yukon was 26-30K, so i kept it close to the trade in value.

In fact, i just got a Spectre air filter for it and installed it today. I was going to buy a K&N, but the autozone guys said it was exactly the same only 25 bucks cheaper. So they opened up both boxes, and the Spectre looked better. It was actually THICKER.

I think I might do some research on her truck and see what i can do to that Vortec engine.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 PM
MrRuckuss
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a leak in my diff. cover as well in my 85 c10 with my torque monster 396, and i was towing a boat from norfolk, va to jacksonville, fla. long story short, the boat i was towing had a thick coat of gear oil all down the bottom and sides, should glide through the water pretty good now and the rearend was smoking and glowing red, after a cool down and some more oil i was fine, i didn't have an lsd i had a mini-spool which i am selling incase somebody was looking for one.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's good to hear Mr Ruckuss, I'm pretty sure mine will be fine too...

Well I found a new cover for it today, after spending all afternoon drivin around Fredericton looking for one. Ended up gettin it from napa, 22 bucks and change, with gasket. It wasn't painted though so I hit it with a couple quick coats of black primer... I cleaned out the rest of the fluid and threw the cover on er. I had to make a tool to get the fill plug out, it's got a square hole about 7/16", so of course a 3/8" extension just slipped... I just found a big bolt and ground it down to a 7/16 square and it worked like a charm, first try lol... I filled it back up with 80W90, dad's got 5 gallon pails of it, and a pump for the pails so it was the easiest choice.

unpainted

2 coats of flat black primer

The damned spare tire winch was seized solid of course, so I ended up lettin the air out of it and hooked up a cable come-along to the hitch and cranked er back lol... Did this yesterday when I started on it.

Well, I got sick of the damned spare in the way, and I figured since it's no good stuck up there, I mays well cut er off lol. The wife says she'd just call me anyway if she ever blew a tire (she isn't lying either, I've had to do it). Damnit I wish I had just done this yesterday, soooo much more room to work under there. I could sit right up and go at it after gettin it off there.

better shot of the gears. They look fine to me

and the nice (un)shiny new cover all in place.

This is what came out of it. It's just above the liter mark in that washer fluid jug. about half what it calls for.

on a brighter note, I got a little mud on the old girl today while parts hunting lol.... At a Tim Horton's nonetheless hahaha.... I imagine I turned some heads, I left the drive thru and across the yard I tramped er and hit some huge mudholes..... not a lot, but it's a start

Quick Reply: Almost burnt up a chev rearend :p