2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

stainless headers cheap

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 01:59 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

stock y pipe is pretty restrictive, if you were to get shorties i would still get a diffrent y-pipe for better flow

Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the ebay cheapies on mine.
I used the gaskets that came with it because they were the carbon covered metal type and seemed fine to me.
The bolts that came with them were low grade metric bolts, so they wouldn't work. I got some grade 8 bolts for them, but I wish I would have gotten some stage 8 header bolts instead because they are nice and rusty now.
Mine had much better looking welds then the ones in the first post, those look like the welder was a little too hot or something.

I got mine long before I became active on this forum and long before I knew anything about headers. If I had it to do over again and I wanted to spend a couple hundred dollars more then I would go with some gibson ceramic coated headers and some stage 8 bolts.
Shortly after they were installed

and about 4 years later (a few months back)
They have spotty rust on them from years of mud and oil from the valve cover leak that I'm fixing in the pictures.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Me&MyMopar
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on a tight budget, but wanted headers, so I decided to take a chance with the ebay headers. The bolts were wrong, but I was going to buy stainless hardware anyway, so no big deal for me. As sheriff mentioned, the gaskets I received were of a decent quality, and I haven't had any trouble with them yet. The truck pulls noticeably harder in the mid to upper range, so I can't complain.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxcowxboyxxx
i run short tubes.......these ones here... http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/sho...ders.php#notes
Im running these also..only they are completly covered in rust.....hmmm the ebay ones look like they held up better for some reason?

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 03-28-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
i have had a bad experience with pacesetter...

last year MOHAWK got some new headers cuz his cracked....he sent me his pacesetter shorties and i took them and had the crack welded up on it.....

i could tell that ive had an exhasut leak for awile but thot it was the stock manifold gasket, gt to lookin around the other day and the opposite one is cracked, up in where the pipes tubes meet and is probably nonrepairable
I would hardly be so inclined to say they are junk because of an experience with an old used cracked set you acquired cracked again in a different place after being repaired? do you know everything they've been subjected too?

Old 03-28-2010, 04:06 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i didnt say they were junk, just telling of my experience with them

Old 03-28-2010, 04:14 PM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran

im thinking of buying some off ebay and noticed they werent welded all the way around the port on the outside even thought they indicated they were race headers. i sent the seller a question about this and have yet to hear from him. I might spring for them next week. even if they dont work i have wasted 140 bucks on more useless stuff before....

Old 03-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Im running these also..only they are completly covered in rust.....hmmm the ebay ones look like they held up better for some reason?
The ebay ones are stainless, the ones in the link are ceramic coated.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
The ebay ones are stainless, the ones in the link are ceramic coated.
well Im running the stainless pacesetters and they are completly rusted...I dont know how old they are though since they were installed when I bought the truck with 140k on it...

Old 03-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Me&MyMopar
Professional

I wasn't sure about the welds based on the pictures either, but when I received them, my mind was put at ease. They must be welded from the flange side, and then grinded down. This is the guy that I bought them from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...Q5fAccessories

Quick Reply: stainless headers cheap