2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RANDOM- WONT START!! plz help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Jay1751
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RANDOM- WONT START!! plz help

ok so heres the problem.. every once in a blue moon (Usually at the worst possible time!) my truck (01' 1500 360) wont start... im not sure if its an ignition problem or a fuel problem...

symptoms: It will run great for months at a time and then all of a sudden one day it wont want to start. it will crank and crank but never actually fire. Generally it will start just as im about to give up and call the tow truck it will fire up and rough idle for a few and then be fine for a while.

I dont know if anyone else has had this problem but if you have PLEASE HELP ME!!!

i have new plugs, cap, rotor, and Taylor wires on it.. And as far as maintenance goes i take great care of it.

This problem is driving me insane! Not only is it embarrassing that my truck wont start (usually in a crowded parking lot) but its frustrating that im never in a position to diagnose it

Thanks in advance for everyone's input -Jay-

Old 03-28-2010, 07:45 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the most important question to try to figure out is whether its loss of spark or fuel.
put some dielectric grease in your spark plug boots so they're easy to get off and carry around an extra spark plug. next time it won't crank, turn the key on and listen for the whine of the fuel pump. next- put your spare plug in any plug wire, ground it to the block or manifold and spin the motor and look for spark. also- think about whether it happens more on cold start or hot start.

i'll guess coil...

Old 03-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Hammer Down
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your crank position sensor may be having issues. It's located on the back of the engine block on the passenger side.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Jay1751
Amateur

thanks.. i always use dielectric grease on my plugs and wires..
That's my problem, it happens sometimes when its cold and sometimes hot.. its completely random.. for instance- happened one time when i went to leave work at the end of the day (9hours of sitting time) and then today when i stopped to grab some taco bell on my way home, i had been driving for about an hour steady and only had it off for all of 25mins.. i will definitely carry an extra plug and listen for the pump..the plugs in it only have approx 3500miles on them.. its just aggravating because there's no warning and the truck runs great once started.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Jay1751
Amateur

thanks hammer down.. its funny you say that because i was just talkin to a guy i work with about it.. def going to check more into it right now

Quick Reply: RANDOM- WONT START!! plz help